Can Anyone Explain This???

My laptop optical drive really never worked. This morning, I accidentally dropped my laptop onto the tile floor when I was putting it on the dining room table . In the process, some of the plastic pieces that covered the fan broke. But when I booted it up, my CD drive worked. How could this have happened? It burned a music CD fine and I'm burning a label with it now since I have a LightScribe drive.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds like something was jammed inside, and bothering the drive. The floor impact shifted whatever the problem was, and now the drive can function.

Since these laptop CD/DVD drives are rather fragile, check that discs you burn are readable without errors on other computers (and vice-versa).

With the laptop turned off, do you hear any loose bits inside when you shake it firmly?

I actually do hear something. There seems to be like a small bit(s) of plastic inside the case. I have been hearing it for a while and just though that it was harmless. I am sending the computer in for service in the summer for new trim since mine is all scratched and cracking, and now I guess I need those fan coverings fixed. I was going to have my operating system checked out as well for errors since my IT teacher say my laptop is "haunted"

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxMike View Post
    I actually do hear something. There seems to be like a small bit(s) of plastic inside the case. I have been hearing it for a while and just though that it was harmless...
    It sounds like your laptop has a tough life.

There may be multiple anchor points inside the plastic shell that have broken off. My guess is that several pieces of the shell should be replaced. Otherwise, the shell is not fully supporting the internal components, and they will flex and shift around. Eventually, something electronic becomes unhappy, and your laptop stops running properly.

Yea, my laptop does have a tough life. I bring it to school everyday, and for the first week of high school in Sept. 2007, I jammed it into a messenger bag with other notebooks and stuff. Then it went into a laptop backpack which was still pretty tight. I still think that a major cause of my software problems could be Windows Vista. Everyone knows how that OS is...

Thread Information