Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: my lemon 06 GPR

my lemon 06 GPR

i put my new GPR in the water for the first time yesterday to break it in. air was 83, water 59ish. dealer filled the tank and oil res. I dropped it in, started right up and I followed the breakin procedure. After an hour, the ski bogged out and shut down. It wouldnt restart. I was out in the atlantic ocean. luckily I was smart enough not to go alone. I got towed back to the channels to some shallow water and got off. I pulled my seat and took out the plugs. the plugs were soaked in oil. they were totally browned too. mind you it was only an hour. I had a spare set of plugs and put them in. the beast fired up and was really choppy and very poor. smoke was pouring from everywhere, and after a few seconds, it shutoff again. my buddy towed me back to the launch, and I did some more troubleshooting. I discovered that the fuel was almost black. assuming that the dealer messed up the 50:1 ratio, i took the ski to the closest marina, a seadoo dealer. they were mre than helpful, and pumped the bad gas from the ski, and we added fresh gas. We noticed the smoke came from the exhaust not properly installed, and we rotated the muffler and seated the exhaust to it properly. I went back and dropped it in the water and it started right up, but runs kinda rough. idle is very rough, and made some wierd noises. I ran it for about 30mins like that cuz the seadoo guys said that the oil prolly clogged the cat. it still runs really bad. what do I do? what can I check? has this happened to anyone else, irregular idle, and bad noises, like a sledgehammer banging the motor...

also the speedometer only reads 0mph, tach, hour meter, and fuel work fine...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

+1
    do not play with any more,bring back to dealer AND start loging all
    problems ,next if that new of ski call yamaha service(should be in book if not someone here will help,BE NICE they will allso log in to system

sorry having problems ,it's really great ski after few mod's much better

later cd

Why havn't you taken that ski back to the dealer you bought it from AND RAISED HOLY HELL!!!? I do have some questions though. How long have you had the ski since you picked it up at the dealer? What I'm getting at is when was the fuel tank filled and how long has it been sitting with that gas in it? If he had the gas in it and you picked up the ski with bad gas, then he has a problem. I just hope you havn't done serious damage to the engine possibly from detonation. I don't like the sounds of "the hammer sound".

Best thing you can do is take it back to the dealer you bought it from, specially since its a new ski.

+1
    ~ditto

the dealer ripped me off when I bought it, they committed fraud, they have filled me with empty promises, only when i got my business lawyer involved, did they get me the ski in the first place. when i lost my temper when i called them, after being hung up on twice, the owner of the company had me bring it right in because i threatened to sue them. the tech tried saying that i messed it up. he said i put the wrong oil mixture in, but they filled the tank. the ski overheated and they are trying to blame something i did, or didnt do. if i dont have answers today, i am done with a$$h0le dealers. i will fix the beast myself. i have no time for finger pointing, and with a dealer like this, representing yamaha, i would not waste my time with yamaha either, im just a guy who got burned on a ski. i doubt yamaha themselves would care my problems with the dealer, or the improper prep of the ski.

the wounds here go deep with this dealer, but under the advisement of my lawyer, i had to give the ski to them last night to attempt to make it right. they have until noon today to contact me with a resolution.

i got more help and better service from the seadoo dealer. they looked at it and checked it out for over an hour for free. their prize was seeing the new 06 being towed by a seadoo gti... all in good fun.

the seadoo guys were telling me that the rough running could just be oil built up in the cat that has to blow out, but i dont want to take the chance because after it overheating, there could be a compression issue causing the irregular running and the grinding sound which is my worry.

+1
    i'll make a bet on what was wrong with your boat.......I will bet you that the rubber coupler between the stinger pipe and the waterbox has come loose, and is pouring exhaust into the engine compartment.

When the rubber couplers are tighened at the factory, it is done before the engine is ever heated up, so the rubber expands or loosens up a bit and slides right off out from under the hose clamps.

I would put money on it that it happened to you. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. That isn't good.

+1
    If you already have a lawyer involved, then you SHOULD go talk to him again, and let him know what happened. There may be something he can do in this situation.

Sorry to hear of your troubles. I hate corrupt underhanded business.

Quote Originally Posted by ABBOTT
    i'll make a bet on what was wrong with your boat.......I will bet you that the rubber coupler between the stinger pipe and the waterbox has come loose, and is pouring exhaust into the engine compartment.

When the rubber couplers are tighened at the factory, it is done before the engine is ever heated up, so the rubber expands or loosens up a bit and slides right off out from under the hose clamps.

I would put money on it that it happened to you. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences. That isn't good.
    you are absolutely correct. the seadoo guys and i fixed that, but to get it to mount properly, we had to rotate the pipe a few degrees because we couldnt get it to fit more than 1/2" over the flange without moving the stinger pipe.

now if i could figure out the banging noise, id be set.

and i dont want to sue them, i dont even want to deal with them ever. its all my fault for dealing with a company like that from the start.

they offered me a gift card to buy 2 pfds and the other stuff i would need. i declined it, telling the guy that i would rather spend my $$ somewhere else then get the stuff for free from motion enterprises.

+1
    you will have to take the battery box out and push the waterbox from the rear of the boat towards the front of the boat --it will move (but not too easily)--be sure to unstrap the rubber strap that holds the water box in place and then move it untill it fits firmly in the connection.

That banging sounds like either the waterbox connection with the stinger pipe both banging on the hole that is cut into the plaxtic battery box "wall" just below the battery box itself....Or it could be that the rubber strap was not put back on to hold the waterbox in its place.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information