Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

08 1300r intermittent start issue!!

I just bought a GP1300R three weeks ago over an RXPX and in the last week have had two issues of just plain old no response when pressing the start button. The issue shouldn't be battery related as it is a brand new battery, and has plenty of charge from being ridden around just before the issue occurs, not to mention the machine starts like new when the intermittent fault disappears. First time the issue was resolved by disconnecting the negative terminal, but the second time the issue was toiled over for 30 mins while beached on shore, disconnecting and reconnecting every visible cable and checking all the fuses. Starter is definitely not turning, the LCD not lighting up, but there is a very light noise, perhaps two or three clicks coming from near the battery compartment.

Any ideas? I'm too scared to cut the engine in open water now, but aside from this issue, ski is excellent!

Thanks in advance!

+1
    You might have to do some shot gunning....

I'd go for the starter relay first.

In this case, the ski's under warranty, I would take it into the dealer and let them figure it out.

+1
    I'm thinking if your hearing the clicks its gonna be your starter relay also

but

Like voodoo said, its under warranty, let the dealer deal with it and if they say it can't be duplicate the problem tell them it keeps happening

+1
    welcome to the forum

+1
    Take a file to the connectors on your battery cables and clean them up. If that doesn't work hook a battery charger up to it and turn it on the middle setting or quick start setting if you have it and try and to start the ski. Since the issue comes and goes I'd put money on bad/dirty connections.

I'd be surprised if it was the starter relay since the ski is so new and you fix the problem one time by messing with the battery cables.

Also, the battery could still be going bad even though it is new, it happens.

I chased this same problem on my GPR a couple of times. The clicking always led me to believe it was the starter relay as well but it always checked out fine. It was always either dirty connectors or a defective battery. It is a good idea to keep a starter relay on the the shelf though.

Quote Originally Posted by MPower View Post
    Take a file to the connectors on your battery cables and clean them up. If that doesn't work hook a battery charger up to it and turn it on the middle setting or quick start setting if you have it and try and to start the ski. Since the issue comes and goes I'd put money on bad/dirty connections.

I'd be surprised if it was the starter relay since the ski is so new and you fix the problem one time by messing with the battery cables.

Also, the battery could still be going bad even though it is new, it happens.

I chased this same problem on my GPR a couple of times. The clicking always led me to believe it was the starter relay as well but it always checked out fine. It was always either dirty connectors or a defective battery. It is a good idea to keep a starter relay on the the shelf though.

+1 clean the terminals and cables with some sandpaper and make sure its getting the best possible connection first, then go from there. i have had the same problem a few times and it was always a bad connection

+1
    +2

i will get all the rest i need when im dead corkycat's Avatar
    +1
    +3
    i had this problem on a gp1200 and i had charged the battery the night before i installed it and it just clicked and clicked, when i put a multimeter on the batt when pressing the start button the voltage showed 8.7v
    turns out the new batt was goosed the shop changed it for another and hey presto 130 horses fired right up

+1
    I wonder who taught you that MPowers,
    Sometimes the jabronis over at yamaha don't tighten everything up or they just forget. I am sure after building these things everyday, they slip up here and there. It happens. Your ground cable could be loose at the starter. Also, put a reader on your battery and make sure you have 12.6 volts or more. If you don't, then your battery is no good. Go buy you an Odyssey dry cell and be happy you did in the long run.
    So when a ski won't start up you need to check these things: battery, starter, starter solenoid and ground cable. I am assuming you didn't ingest any water into the motor or anything that would remotely cause it to hydrolock or something else you might not be telling us?

SHOOTER

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information