04 Seadoo GTX 4-TEC limited.. good deal ?

just jumping into this pwc game, i am not the biggest wrench out there, was just wondering if the above boat was a good deal @$$5K, with a 2006 dual franklin trailer. ski has 27hrs on it, no scuffs, original motor, looks good. I been researching the forum of do's and do not's,, and was wondering if this is a dependable boat with not to many worries, i definitely need the hp cause i am a pretty big guy @ 255lbs. and don't wanna fork out for a new sc ski... trying to jump into the game for a good price, but need some good hp.... i did read jarrett thread on 4 tec must does, but any big recalls or problems with the earlier motors?????????????????????

State of Confusion BartenderSmalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldskool1965 View Post
    just jumping into this pwc game, i am not the biggest wrench out there, was just wondering if the above boat was a good deal @$$5K, with a 2006 dual franklin trailer. ski has 27hrs on it, no scuffs, original motor, looks good. I been researching the forum of do's and do not's,, and was wondering if this is a dependable boat with not to many worries, i definitely need the hp cause i am a pretty big guy @ 255lbs. and don't wanna fork out for a new sc ski... trying to jump into the game for a good price, but need some good hp.... i did read jarrett thread on 4 tec must does, but any big recalls or problems with the earlier motors?????????????????????
    Not sure about the "Limited" - is that a Supercharged boat??? I have the '04 GTX-SC ski, and they are very dependable - if it's Supercharged then do a search on 'ceramic washers SeaDoo' and you will get some threads on instructions to replace the washers in the Supercharger. The ceramics tend to fail.

Beyond that, I think you are fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BartenderSammy View Post
    Not sure about the "Limited" - is that a Supercharged boat??? I have the '04 GTX-SC ski, and they are very dependable - if it's Supercharged then do a search on 'ceramic washers SeaDoo' and you will get some threads on instructions to replace the washers in the Supercharger. The ceramics tend to fail.

Beyond that, I think you are fine.
    thanx 4 reply,, but it is a super-charged ski...

+1
    yes it is supercharged, it does NOT have an intercooler. thus it is 185 HP.
    all around reliable motor. SC can be weak point, the ceramic clutch washers can fail, causing damage and costly engine overhaul. if clutch washers have never failed, then its a great ski, just get the SC rebuilt with upgraded 2008 washers or aftermarket washers.
    make sure the pump is aluminum not plastic, run the vin at the dealer to see if its had any warranty or maintenance work done.

+1
    oops, if it is a "limited" it might have an intercooler, and be 215 hp.
    still same on reliability, just a few more parts to think about.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    yes it is supercharged, it does NOT have an intercooler. thus it is 185 HP...
    Quote Originally Posted by lextoy View Post
    oops, if it is a "limited" it might have an intercooler, and be 215 hp...
    lextoy, you were correct... no IC, 185 hp. The 215hp IC Limited didn't come out until '05.

Sounds like a pretty good deal with trailer... especially if it comes with all the ancillary equipment (cover, GPS, storage bucket, storage net, gear bags, etc).

+1
    Check that the knock sensor update was done (if required on this particular ski). Also check if the plastic pump has been replaced with a metal assy.

If you get it, replace the ceramic SC clutch washers ASAP-- they're a time bomb!

We've been pleased with our two 04's. Plenty of power for us. Replaced the batteries last season. Just had the SC"s rebuilt (@ 120 hrs). One had a sensor go bad under warrenty-- that it.

The LTD came with a set of accessories, the most costly to replace are the cover and the GPS.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    the 04 LTD has a metal pump, no worries there

the 04 LTD has no knock sensor updates needed

there were never any recalls or problem areas on these machines other than you should definitely plan on dumping money into it right away for getting rid of the ceramic supercharger clutch washers... that will be your added expense... how much that is gonna cost you is gonna depend on your skill level and mechanical knowledge... parts ONLY are $300... add labor to that if u can't take your SC out urself and/or rebuild it yourself

where are you located?

Thread Information