Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1

Need help and advice VX110, rpm surges?

Hey guys, I was hoping you could lend me some advice. I have a 30 hour 2007 VX110 that does not run right. The RPM's seem to surge up and down 200-300rpms. I cannot steady cruise at 4-5MPH like I wanted it to do. The previous owner told me about the problem after I had already bought the ski, he told me it sits for 2+ months at a time and usually does it the first time out and then goes away. I rode it for 2 hours today and it just wont run right. At a full throttle run it would do 48ish in choppy waters then bog down to 45ish and I can hear the engine wind down. It sounds to me like it may not be getting enough fuel. What do you think? I don't know what gas was in it when I bought it but I know it sat for 2+ months, it had half a tank so I put 89 for the other half and ran it and that was the result. I was thinking of maybe going to 93 and putting in a fuel additive. What is your advice? Have you seen anything like
    this. Someone told me it might be the TPS sensor. I did the 8 second holding down of the select tab on the ski and I got code 01 (ALL IS NORMAL). Thanks for any advice you may have!

Roman from Miami

My 05 Vx did the same thing last season, for the first time. I was 6 miles offshore, just sitting on the back of the ski for a while(half hour), went to fire it up and it starting surging up and down on the rpm's. I was like, WTF!? I tried gunning it to clear it out, but it wouldn't reach top speed. After letting off the throttle and it was still surging, so I just shut it off waited a minute, started it up and problem was gone. It hasn't done it since. I have no idea, the only thing I can think of is bad plugs. I have not change them in the last two seasons. Air filter is fine, oil level fine, no water in the hull.

+1
    Pretty wierd, I will start with the spark plugs

possibly dirty filter or some foreign object in tank? Mostly likely some stupid electrics issue from a bad senser?

I've never had this problem with my VX, but my best guess would have to be the spark plugs. I wouldn't think a "foreign object" in the tank would cause that kind of problem, but you might want to check the filter. Good luck let us know what happens.

+1
    Thanks guys I will. I will stop by tomorrow and pick up the spark plugs. Can I run a fuel additive to help clean out the injectors? I assume it can be the same thing as the ones you would use in a car.

did it once.....

same thing as brewster,, turned it off waited 60 seconds, started her back, and all was fine... hmmm.

+1
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I changed the plugs with some brand new NGK and the problem is gone!!!! The ski runs great and idles amazing. What a difference! Thank you for everyone for the suggestions. I guess the plugs don't last too long in these skis! Finally my baby is up and running. I ran it from Halouver to Ft Lauderdale today and it ran great. My gf had a great time!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I changed the plugs with some brand new NGK and the problem is gone!!!! The ski runs great and idles amazing. What a difference! Thank you for everyone for the suggestions. I guess the plugs don't last too long in these skis! Finally my baby is up and running. I ran it from Halouver to Ft Lauderdale today and it ran great. My gf had a great time!
    Congrats, glad to hear it was something so simple...

+1
    Thank you! So am I! I love my new VX!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information