Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Engine/Pump Alignment

Hey guys, I decided to pull my ski apart today to do some preventive maintenance and threw on my new engine alignment tool and found my alignment to be off. The pictures will speak for themselves.

One thing I noticed is that the engine alignment shaft is not perfectly in the middle of the hole that goes into the pump. I have it bolted up properly so does this mean my pump shoe is not aligned properly? If you look at the pics you can see now there is more room under the shaft then above it.

Whats your guys thoughts? Do I need to pull the pump shoe and replace it with a new one that is aligned properly?

+1
    ops forgot the pics here they are...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-DSC00736.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	117302   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-DSC00737.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	227.2 KB 
ID:	117303   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-DSC00739.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	117304   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mini-DSC00748.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	224.4 KB 
ID:	117305  

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    aha, that is correct. This means that the shoe was not installed quite right at the factory... it is very common.

Fortunately, the engine alignment can be fixed with some shims and you should be fine. The pump shoe misalignment will cause a little extra lateral pressure (upward in this case) on the carbon seal, but no so much to worry about changing out the shoe (imo). Unless your lucky, most skis will have some error from the factory.

I'd align the engine and just keep an eye out for the first signs of leaking through the carbon seal... which may or may not happen anytime soon.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    how do we know that the thru-hull opening was fiberglassed exactly in the right dead-center spot of the hull? how do u know which is more dead center and accurate... the pump shoe may be in the right spot and the thru-hull opening in the wrong spot... and vice versa

luckily with the seadoo design... so long as the pump and engine are aligned... the driveshaft and floating ring and carbon seal can all be off center and seal bc there's enough flat sealing surface area riding against each other.

but that's what i would like to know... who decides the starting point of alignment, and if u say the thru-hull opening is the starting point, who said the hull manufacturer put the thru-hull opening in the exact precise spot

+1
    I cant align the motor up/down any more then it is right now from the front, i would have to align it with shims in the back as there is not even in a shim under the front motor mount.

If you all think the shoe is good then I am cool with that... all I know is that since installing the pump ext in my ski there is a horrible drive line vibration... I mean its REALLY noticeable.

What you all think I should just adjust the motor up to get it aligned properly and be done with it?

I have never had a problem with my carbon ring leaking and TBH I plan on going back to my Rad-4 through hull seal once I get my drive shaft machined as I find my holeshot is much better with the through hull seal.

If you slide the alignment shaft out some and take a square from the shaft horizontally to the sides of the rear of the ski you can tell if the pump support is square to the hull. I think that would be a good starting point. I don't think the vertical alignment would be that critical--we have trim. If the support is square to the hull, then align the motor to the shaft. If you do realign the motor, I would change the carbon seal too. The seal would have worn on an angle based on the prior alignment of the shaft.

Mark

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 05Limited View Post

I'd align the engine and just keep an eye out for the first signs of leaking through the carbon seal... which may or may not happen anytime soon.
    I agree with this. Just keep an eye on it.

Shibby brings up a real good point too. It may not be the shoe that's off.

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Hulk View Post
    ... Shibby brings up a real good point too. It may not be the shoe that's off.
    I certainly see Steve's point. The total alignment "package" needs to be referenced from somewhere and unless the process is viewed at the factory we will probably never know where the starting point is. Steve, I remember you having to address this issue on your conversion ski... indexing the pump shoe to the thru-hull.

I suppose, though, that if one were inclined to adjust any error it would be much easier to add a shim or two to the shoe than move the thru-hull location.

+1
    Guys thanks for the great info! I really appreciate it!

It looks to me as if the alignment shaft is up and to the right of the through hull piece and that is where it's hitting at the motor too. This makes me think that the engine may be aligned to the through hull and pump support isn't.
    Does Sea-Doo use the same alignment method when the ski is assembled as we do with a plate at the pump and a shaft? Could they possibly have two steps, one that aligns engine to through hull and another during pump support install?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information