Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Go for the new FX SHO or settle for used?

I'm drooling over the new Yamaha skis but I can't get over how pricey they are (actually all new models not just Yamahas). I found a dealer that has a new '08 FX Cruiser SHO for $9900 including a trailer and cover but I can't seem to pull the trigger on it. It sounds like a good deal but for $10k I think I could find two used skis in decent shape. My dilemma: I just moved on a small lake (less than 1 mile across) so whatever machine I buy may end up getting higher than average hours on it every summer, especially when we have people over. This would lead me to the new four stroke. But, since it will be kept outside on a lift I'm not sure if I want to spend top dollar on something that may get beat up by the weather and sun. I've been reading a lot here about how great the GP models are and may hold out for a GP for tooling around and a larger three seater for skiing/tubing. What do you guys think? It seems like I'm the only one left who still thinks $10k is a lot of money.

+1
    if its something your going to be using alot then dont settle get what you want. if your only going to use it once or twice a year then i would say you can settle on something a little less.

by the way i drag mine every where with me and when i mean every where it has been up and down the east cost several times now. it really doesnt cost me that much to tow it and its fun to explore new places. just something to keep in mind.

For your situation I would recommend a entry level 4 stroke. One ski that I would recommend is the vx110. I think it would make the perfect lake ski, its great on gas, it never gives me any problems, lasts forever, and has more than enough power to tow. Towing is always fun on small lakes and im sure your guests would enjoy that. 2 strokes tend to give many problems and the new forced induction 4 strokes are costly, harder to maintain, and not as gas efficient. You can pick up a used VX110 for under 5k. Search around, let me know how it turns out!

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by SlowStang305 View Post
    That looks like a great deal!!! Ask for pics and any problems....Buy it, we're serious =P

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by italianstallion314 View Post
    For your situation I would recommend a entry level 4 stroke. One ski that I would recommend is the vx110. I think it would make the perfect lake ski, its great on gas, it never gives me any problems, lasts forever, and has more than enough power to tow. Towing is always fun on small lakes and im sure your guests would enjoy that. 2 strokes tend to give many problems and the new forced induction 4 strokes are costly, harder to maintain, and not as gas efficient. You can pick up a used VX110 for under 5k. Search around, let me know how it turns out!
    i have a 152 hours on my 800 and every thing in the motor is original. how ever i think you would be better off with a 4stroke. i would look around a little before just letting people tell you to buy a vx. look at the riding conditions your in and do the research on the hulls to see which one will best suit what your looking for. the best thing you can do is find a dealer on your lake that will let you test ride the different craft or find a rental place that will let you rent a few different styles for an hour or so.

I actually was considering a VX but thought a few more horses would be better for towing. The price for that one in FL would be tempting if I was 1200 miles closer. Another dealer nearby has a '08 VX that has only four hours on it for $6500 and a '07 FX HO for $6800 that I may go check out this weekend. I guess what I'm looking for is a three seater that has some good power for towing and a nimble two seater for me when I want to get out by myself and rip it up a little. I thought the SHO would fill both those roles at once but it was sold right away so I'll have to keep looking.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    The FXHO is a very nice ski. Check out that 07!

VX I love but.

VX's are great,, I know I love mine, but I am yearning,, more speed and power,, on the fence with a new SHO, or a worked XLT 1200, not big on 2 strokes but, i actually ride summer month weekends. VX dependable trouble free,,, won't leave ya high and dry...

+1
    Look for a left over honda on ebay for crying out loud! All manufacturers are needing to clear inventory, it's starting to show.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information