Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Hotrod crank nightmare

I bought a new trued and welded Hotrod crank from Dan at Waterworx's. I received the crank and Shooter and I went to install it. Torqued the cases down and the crank was very hard to turn, so we started over, messed with this crank for 3 hour and no luck. Install crank in a spare set of cases and the same thing. It was so tight you need two hands to turn it over. I sent it back to Dan and told he it was f-ed up. He sent it to a friend that builds engine and he agreed. Sense the shipping box had holes in it we thought UPS had drop it and bent it, so he filed a claim with UPS and got back most of the money. Dan called me and asked did a want to take a 75.00 lose or did I want a new crank. I decide on a new crank (not welded sense Hotrod do not warranty weld crank anymore)
    Got the new crank and dry fitted it to make sure thing were ok. Same shit crank so tight it was hard to turn. Installed in 2 other cases and same thing.
    Call Dan and told him, he called Hotrods and they said for me to sent it to them. So I did, Hotrods called me and said we don't see anything wrong with the crank and sent it back to me. I reinstalled it in a set of cases and same thing, it would get very tight when I torqued the center bolts down.
    Waited for Shooter to get his crank back from Crankworks and installed in one of the cases that we install the hotrod crank in, it turned with 2 fingers.
    Call Hotrod back and told them something was wrong with their crank. They told me they do not want the crank back without the cases. I installed the crank in a set of cases and torqued it down, packed it up and sent it to them. Hotrods call me and said we don't see anything wrong with the crank, said cranks are always tight when new and needed to be run. I told them bull that I had been building and racing 2 stroke for over 35 years. Hotrods said they would get an OEM crank and install it in my cases to see what was going on. Didn't hear from them for 3 weeks so I call them. They admitted they had a problem with all the cranks they had in stock and was waiting for a new shipment. Got my cases and crank today and it turns with 2 finger. About time it's only been 6 months sense I ordered one.
    I just wonder how many more bad cranks they have sold in the past.
    Mike

+1

+1
    Oh man I just ordered a New Hotrod Crank from a guy in texas. I'll be getting it on wed I'll let you know how my install goes.

+1
    IMO,its well worth the extra money your spend on a crank from Crankworks or Pro-tec. Sorry to hear the troubles you had.I remember talking to Shooter about this.

+1
    OMG, you got some patience ! 6 mos !
    glad its finally resolved for you

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RX951 View Post
    OMG, you got some patience ! 6 mos !
    I mean to tell you. I would have pitched a bitch a long time ago. Good luck man.

The new crank that I got has a black color on the end with the treads, the bad ones were silver in color. I haven't removed it from the cases yet so not sure if there is any other differance.

+1
    Glad to see this is finally resolved

My crank was tight when I installed it, but after I broke it in it loosened up.

Both of the bad cranks were so tight you could not turn them with the rods

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information