Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stator question

Stator question

I have a Polaris Virage with no spark and the MFD display won't turn off? I placed a voltage meter on the brown wiring going to the stator and I'm measuring 8.7v with or without the lanyard in. The manual also had me measure the ohms across the black and purple wire on the stator cable(facing the stator). It supposedly should read 5.5 ohms, mine read .005 ohms. I purchased the jet ski broken so I have no prior history. Also the MFD display doesn't turn off? Should it turn off after a few minutes? Also is there anything else I should do to check the stator or is what I did enough to be 100% sure it is the stator?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    This is a two cylinder carbureted Virage - correct?
    What year?

Portions of the Virage MFI display will remain active, even when it is in sleep mode. Clock time, fuel, oil levels will continue to be displayed.

Regarding the 0.005 ohm stator coil reading, I expect that your ohm-meter is displaying in Kilo-ohms, rather than ohms. 0.005 kilo-ohms is about 5 ohms.

Have you checked the Hall Effect sensor, per the Polaris manual?
    Page 7.31 in the year 2000 manual.

More Polaris PWC Service manuals can be found here.

After you get the engine running, be sure the CDI Red/Purple wire is connected to the Orange wire terminal. This change ensures that domestic CDI engine restarts are reliable, per Polaris service bulletin PWC-00-05.

Have you confirmed that all the electrical box wiring is correct? No corrosion inside the electrical box, front or back sides of the terminal board?

2002 700 Polaris Virage

This is a two cylinder 2002 Polaris Virage. I did check all the terminals and they are in excellent condition (plenty of di-elec) I'll check the volt meter settings. I'll also run that stator test tonight. Not sure what the last entry was referring to with the red/purple and the orange term? Thanks for the help

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirdave4 View Post
    ...Not sure what the last entry was referring to with the red/purple and the orange term?...
    This post describes the Service Bulletin procedure. I think your 2002 would already be wired this way, per the wiring diagram in the 2002 Virage Service manual.

No spark

One of the problems I found is the kill switch was in a constant "open" state. This doesn't appear to be my main problem because an "open" state would be when the Lanyard was inserted (i think). The only problem I would have experiences is not being able to turn off the motor. So the no spark trouble continues....

Can someone explain the machanics of the stator? If I supply 7-9v (which is what I'm getting from the CDI box to the brown wire and ground the gray wire to the 9v battery, what should I get back from the stator. I seen in the manual it talking about AC power coming back (regulated and unregulated)? If the stator provides the electrical spark for the ignition coil then what does the ignition coil do? There are two blk/wh wires going into the ignition box, should both of them be getting AC voltage and if so, how much. I ran through the manual and performed all the ohm/voltage test. Everything seem correct so far? The one thing I'm missing from the schematic is a gry/red wire going to a reverse RPM limit switch? Should that be there on the manual reverse model?

What part of the equation does the MFI have in the whole no spark equation? I changed out the old MFI with another used one, but having the same problem. Checked the red/pur and getting 12v across the fuse.

Any other suggestion??? I'll buy lunch. lol

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Are you measuring 12 volts from one side of the fuse to the other (one lead on each end of the fuse)? If so, the fuse is bad.

No spark

Yes the ohm test did come back with 5.3ohms (instead of .005). Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

no Spark...

Fuses are fine... Grounded the black (neg) and places the red (pos) on both sides of the fuse. The power source, I'm getting 12.71v and the other side of the fuse I get 12.55v

+1

How the Polaris CDI ignition system works - twin cylinder domestic engines

Quote Originally Posted by sirdave4 View Post
    ...Can someone explain the mechanics of the stator?

If I supply 7-9v (which is what I'm getting from the CDI box to the brown wire and ground the gray wire to the 9v battery, what should I get back from the stator. I seen in the manual it talking about AC power coming back (regulated and unregulated)?

If the stator provides the electrical spark for the ignition coil then what does the ignition coil do?

There are two blk/wh wires going into the ignition box, should both of them be getting AC voltage and if so, how much.

...What part of the equation does the MFI have in the whole no spark equation? I changed out the old MFI with another used one, but having the same problem...
    The domestic stator has one battery charging coil, connected to Yellow and Red/Purple wires. The AC signal on the Yellow wire is also used to wake up the MFI and the LR module when the engine starts cranking.

If there is no RPM signal on the Yellow wire during cranking, then the LR + CDI may not wake up, and you will have no spark.

Does the MFI 'wake up' when you crank the engine?
    If yes, then the Yellow wire is probably OK.

The CDI electronics are internally powered by the 12 volt feed on the Red/Purple wire into the CDI (which comes from the LR regulator module's switched 12 volt Orange wire output).

When you start cranking the engine, the Orange wire should go from zero volts to about 12 volts. If it is 10.5 volts or less, you will have no spark.

The most common cause of a no spark condition is a weak battery. Battery MUST deliver greater than 10.5 volts while cranking the engine.

The other stator coil (Purple and Black wires) provides primary ignition voltage to the CDI module. This is greater than 12 volts, and is used to charge a powerful capacitor inside the CDI module. CDI is short for Capacitive Discharge Ignition.

The CDI gets its flywheel timing/trigger information from the Hall Effect sensor inside the stator. The Hall Effect sensor is powered by the CDI - that is the +9 volts that you apply to the Brown wire to test the sensor (see attached diagram). Gray is 'signal ground' for the sensor.

As the flywheel turns, the Hall Effect sensor detects when the timing magnets attached to the flywheel pass the sensor tips. The Hall Effect sensor then sends a signal (momentary short to ground, on Red or Green wires) to the CDI. The CDI then triggers the capacitive discharge pulse into the ignition coil primary (the Black/White wire pair to the coil).

The primary of the ignition coil is pulsed with much greater than 12 volts, but way less than the thousands of volts the secondary of the ignition coil releases to the spark the plugs.

In the two cylinder domestic Polaris engines, both spark plugs fire together, every time. One of the sparks is 'wasted', as that cylinder is near BDC. The other plug is of course firing for the power stroke in that cylinder.

The MFI is only involed in two ways, in terms of no-start symptoms;
    The MFI security 'lock code', if locked, disconnects the ground for the start solenoid (Purple/White to LR, and Black/White to solenoid). So a 'security locked' MFI will not allow the starter to crank.

The other possible interference is the Yellow wire. If the MFI is damaged such that it kills the AC signal on the Yellow wire during cranking, then the LR module may not wake up, and the engine will not start. This is rare, but it can happen.

If you want to crank/start the engine without the MFI, then unplug the MFI, and connect the Purple/White wire (MFI pin 1) to Black/round (MFI pin 3).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Polaris domestic Hall Effect Trigger Coil testing 2000 Virage-SLX-Pro1200-Genesis.jpg 
Views:	774 
Size:	329.2 KB 
ID:	117928  

No Spark

This is extremely helpful... Thanks you for taking the time!!!

---Anyone know where I can get a kill switch for a 2002 Polaris Virage? I Prefer new but will take an used one---

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information