Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Never Time To Ride antoniodef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan
    Posts
    1,169

    Depth Finder Install

    So I decided to install a depth finder. After searching around the forum to see what everyone else had done, I decided on the Hawkeye and mounted it in the steering pad. I seen a couple other members did it. I have the gauge installed and the ground wired in with my other grounds from the bilge. I have not mounted the tranducer yet. I want to mount it inside the hull.

    Does anyone know if the hulls are solid or if they have a core? Has anyone mounted the transducer below the drive shaft? How did it work?

    Also, I read if you wire the red wire into a solid purple wire it will only have power while the ski is running. I currently have the wire ran down the steering into the hull in the front. Where is a good spot to tap into a purple wire?

    Thanks for any help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0216092016.jpg 
Views:	562 
Size:	446.5 KB 
ID:	117466  


  2. #2
    Ride Hard! aha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Covina, Ca
    Posts
    2,009
    +1
    11
    I mounted mine directly in front of the pump opening under the motor but then again I have an RXP.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    Does anyone know if the hulls are solid or if they have a core? Has anyone mounted the transducer below the drive shaft? How did it work?

    Thanks for any help.
    Some of us have purchased a small hand held fish finders and I have mine shooting through the hull, the RXT-X has a circle area behind the S/C where BRP mount the GTX depth transducer, mine works to about 35mph (then get a lot of fish showing), but the depth finder works very well. The hand held fits on the dash by velcro. Much cheaper than the gen product +$1000Aus.

    Pete

  4. #4
    AKA: Larry lafjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    So I decided to install a depth finder. After searching around the forum to see what everyone else had done, I decided on the Hawkeye and mounted it in the steering pad. I seen a couple other members did it. I have the gauge installed and the ground wired in with my other grounds from the bilge. I have not mounted the tranducer yet. I want to mount it inside the hull.

    Does anyone know if the hulls are solid or if they have a core? Has anyone mounted the transducer below the drive shaft? How did it work?

    Also, I read if you wire the red wire into a solid purple wire it will only have power while the ski is running. I currently have the wire ran down the steering into the hull in the front. Where is a good spot to tap into a purple wire?

    Thanks for any help.
    Here's what I did...still working great.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48580
    The rxp/rxt's have a spot where the oem depthfinder installs. It's best if you can do it there. I don't think mounting the transducer under the drive shaft will work...I did mount mine on the transom once and it did well there except I kept hitting it on something.

  5. #5
    Which type of transducer did you get?

    Mark

  6. #6
    AKA: Larry lafjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    Which type of transducer did you get?

    Mark
    There is a pic in my thread...what ever came with the hawkeye...it can be mounted inside or outside the hull....
    Talk to Patrick at Norcross [email protected] or give him a call... Mention Larry Fortune...he should remember.

  7. #7
    Never Time To Ride antoniodef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Waterford, Michigan
    Posts
    1,169
    I did read about the sweet spot for the transducer on the gtx, but from what I have seen the GTI's do not have the spot. I did read your posts many times Larry, that is what helped me decide what depth finder to get and where to mount it. I will have to see if I can get some plexiglass and try that, I just don'thave a band saw to make the piece.

    Whoever asked what transducer, here is the link
    http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch

    One question anybody, where is everyone tying into a purple wire for the power?

  8. #8
    I would recommend going from the transducer included in the kit to a higher quality one. You spend another $150 but get a much better transducer. With the stock transducer I never could get a depth reading at over 40 mph. Worked reasonably well in shallow water at slower speeds. Not real good on muddy bottoms--not a good sonar bounce. With the Airmar transducer I get depth readings all the time even at 80 mph. The hawkeye with the better transducer works just a good as the factory Sea Doo depth finder. The transducer mounts with silicone caulk--not epoxy. I filled mine with mineral oil. You can use mineral oil or propylene glycol--not ethylene glycol. You should try to mount the transducer slightly off of centerline of the ski. There is usually only one layer of fiberglass below the motor area. I have attached a pic of where I had to mount my transducer--works great--very happy.

    Mark
    Attached Files Attached Files

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    23
    I actually installed a fishfinder into my '08 RXT. I fish from my jetski every weekend. The transducer was glued onto the flat spot below the SC and ran the wires inside the glovebox. The fishfinder unit sits on the lit of the glovebox. It's easy and cheap to replace if I need to later.

    here is a how-to article of the install.

  10. #10
    AKA: Larry lafjax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Posts
    3,032
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark S View Post
    I would recommend going from the transducer included in the kit to a higher quality one. You spend another $150 but get a much better transducer. With the stock transducer I never could get a depth reading at over 40 mph. Worked reasonably well in shallow water at slower speeds. Not real good on muddy bottoms--not a good sonar bounce. With the Airmar transducer I get depth readings all the time even at 80 mph. The hawkeye with the better transducer works just a good as the factory Sea Doo depth finder. The transducer mounts with silicone caulk--not epoxy. I filled mine with mineral oil. You can use mineral oil or propylene glycol--not ethylene glycol. You should try to mount the transducer slightly off of centerline of the ski. There is usually only one layer of fiberglass below the motor area. I have attached a pic of where I had to mount my transducer--works great--very happy.

    Mark
    I've had good luck with the stock transducer but might like to upgrade. I looked up Airmar but only found brass $300-600 ones. Where do you get a $150 airmar transducer ??

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Depth finder install on 2008 RXT-X
    By iflyems in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2008, 03:39 PM
  2. Depth Finder Install
    By WAVEATER in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-21-2008, 11:22 AM
  3. Depth finder install (After market)
    By lafjax in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 03:47 PM
  4. RTX 2007 Depth Finder Install?
    By Muddy River in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 07:15 PM
  5. My Hawkeye Depth Finder installation
    By lafjax in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 06:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •