Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New to PWCs, Which do I choose?

Hi I'm new to PWCs but not new to boating in general. I've been around the water my whole life, but just now have the opportunity to buy a ski. I'm looking for something reliable, something stable in the water at low speeds, but also something that I can get out and have fun with. There may be times where I'd like it to pull a wakeboard also.

With that being said, my budget is $1800 or less including a trailer.

So far here is a list of skis I've found in my budget

1994 SeaDoo SPX
    *new battery, includes cover $1600obo

1994 SeadDoo SP
    *runs good $1800

1995 SeaDoo HX
    * seat faded $1695

Do any of these seem worth looking into?

Does anyone in Missouri have a cheap dependable ski for sale?

Thanks,

Aaron

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you willing to repair or rebuild a non-running PWC?

Will you be doing your own repairs and maintenance?

The machines you list are all well over ten years old. Even if you buy one in running condition, it will require work to keep it running, and ensure some reliability.

After the purchase, what is your ongoing budget for repairs, parts and running expenses (fuel, 2-stroke oil, safety gear, etc)?

If the trailer is old, it too may need maintenance or repairs. Tires older than six years are a liability, as they get hard and crack. Old tires can fail at any time. Trailer wheel bearings can fail, as can lights, wiring and other trailer hardware. None of these are huge repair tasks, but they should not be ignored.

Out of the three i would go for the 1994 spx. The hx is a very unstable ski and as your new to pwcs it wouldnt be a good ski to start on unless you want a challange. As K447 said these skis are ten years old and will need maintaining well to keep them running and you could have much more problems when buying older skis.

If you are looking for a ski like these and your budget is around $1800 i would try to find a 96 xp, they have a bit more power and are reliable when maintained properly.

where are you located? those prices seem kinda high for where i'm at. here's an example I foud a couple a minnuts ago just brousing http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/1038510321.html

Like I said in my first post, I'm from Missouri. I'd be willing to drive into Kansas or Illinois to find a good ski though.

+1
    This is not the reply you want but to answer your question:
    no they are not worth looking into in my opinion.
    The whole point of this sport is to be out on the water and having fun.
    $1,800 might get you a few hours on the water, (a few) but unless you're a mechanic, those old things are going to be money pits and an endless source of aggravation. Save your money, sell something else or whatever and scrape together about $5,000-$6,000 and get a pre-owned, non-supercharged, entry level 4 stroke, you'll thank me in the long run.

+1
    Yes, he's right. A early year 4-tec GTI or GTX with 130-155 HP will be perfect if you can find a way to afford one. I believe they began the 4-tecs in 2002. You'll need a 3 seater and the extra power for towing. They are among some of the most reliable skis you'll find too.

I don't really want to spend 4-6 k and then decide i will only use it twice and then it will sit in my garage. I bought a 7k fourwheeler because I thought I wanted something newer and reliable and have barely gotten it out of the break in period in 3 years.

+1
    Well, if you are only going to use it twice and don't care that you can't tow with it then get one of the older 2 seaters that you mentioned. They should atleast last the 2 rides ..

Buy a yamaha wr3 or venture or xl. as long as its 701 or 760 and wasn't a rental there reliable and cheap to maintain

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information