Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Channel marker lights for a small private channel.

heres an old pic comin into my channel. You can kinda see the wood poles that mark the channel but at night it is almost imposssible to find. I do have it marked on gps but its only 15ft wide and goes through marsh and wet lands and boats MUST stay on plan till the gray buildings. Ive been looking for nav light to put on the fist set of poles to help find the channel but there not cheap. Anyone know of any affordable lights for this kind of application??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Could you mount a pair of range lights at the end of, and inline with, the channel?

The farther back one is mounted higher (on a building or pole), the one closer to the water is mounted lower, so you can see both of them from the water. When you are on the correct path into your channel, the lights will appear to be one above the other.

The farther apart the two lamps are spaced on the ground, the more sensitive their position will be when you are on the water.

The range lights don't have to be anything specifically made for navigation, just two lights that you can recognize and tell apart from other lights in the area.

+1
    For the posts themselves, how bright do you need them to be?

You might be able to use inexpensive solar powered garden lights. In dark conditions, they can be seen from a fair distance, especially if they are raised up.

There may be rules about what color lights you can place on your waterway...

+1
    Hey thanks for posting. Using garden solar lights never even crossed my mind but i like that idea alot. Im not to worrie about any laws as its a private channel. I do need to see they from about 500m away so i can line the channel up befor i get to close. cause by the time you realize your not on the right path its to late and willl be stuck in the marsh. LMAO i cant cout how many time ive missed the channel but im alway in a small 25hp boat so easy to push out. I dont want to do that when i take the doo or the big Doral out at night.

My Jet Ski drinks more than yours Glenozzy's Avatar
    +1
    what about a remote control light that flashes?
    they are easy to build for under 100

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    ...I do need to see they from about 500m away so i can line the channel up before I get too close.

...when i take the doo or the big Doral out at night.
    I didn't mention that the range lights can be standard outdoor spotlights. You can even use two different colors of light, so you can easily pick them out at a distance.

Range lights (and range markers in the daytime) allow you to find and get lined up with the channel from way out. All you do is adjust your course until they appear one right above the other, from your perspective on the boat. Then head towards the lights, adjusting your course if the lights stray from appearing in line.

If you drift to the left of the target channel, the bottom range light will appear to drift to the right. Steer to the right, and the bottom range light will move back into position, and you will be back in-line with the channel.

Take the doo out at night - be careful with that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenozzy View Post
    what about a remote control light that flashes?
    they are easy to build for under 100
    I dont even want to spend $20. we had a good set of lights couple years ago but but poles got knocked over and we lost them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I didn't mention that the range lights can be standard outdoor spotlights. You can even use two different colors of light, so you can easily pick them out at a distance.

Range lights (and range markers in the daytime) allow you to find and get lined up with the channel from way out. All you do is adjust your course until they appear one right above the other, from your perspective on the boat. Then head towards the lights, adjusting your course if the lights stray from appearing in line.

If you drift to the left of the target channel, the bottom range light will appear to drift to the right. Steer to the right, and the bottom range light will move back into position, and you will be back in-line with the channel.

Take the doo out at night - be careful with that.
    I doo like this idea but it is overkill for what i need. your other idea is awesome though LOL i have an old set somewhere in the garage some where i might try or buy a new set if there brighter. And yes ill be carefull takin the DOO out at night. It does have all the nav light and i also have a garmin colorado gps Pluse ive been boating in longpoint bay for all 28 years of my life so i know it very well.

use reflective tape or paint on the poles and carry a hand held spot light? cheap

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sportsterme View Post
    ...I have an old set somewhere in the garage some where i might try or buy a new set if there brighter...
    If you have an old set of solar powered garden lights, and they no longer run the lights for very long after dusk, you may be able to replace the rechargeable batteries.

Do check inside the lights for corrosion, and it might be a good idea to spray Fluid Film or similar onto all the electrical contacts, since they will be exposed to a lot of dampness.

There are also solar powered 'dock lights' which are similar to the garden lights, but might work better for your application.

Glad to be able to help

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information