Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Total Newbie Question (Can Anyone Spare A Moment)

I've read for quite some time, and learned a bit from the veterans on these boards, but I am confused. This could in fact be due to the ease of modifying real way modern street cars with ease (Raptor, SCT, etc.)

As far as the SHO / FZR goes. Am I understanding it correctly, that boosting the power levels on the FZR's and SHO's is a challenge? Like I said, please forgive my ignorance, I really am trying to learn. With my 2004 Cobra, it was a matter of changing the upper and lower pulley, and then retuning the car using SCT (which took the car from 390hp to 478hp). Although in the end I switched out to a Whipple and took it up to 680 with new injectors, anyways...

Are we unable to do the same with the SHO / FZR's or are we? Are the ECU codes not available or are they? I would think with an 1,800+ cu engine, on a sub 900 pound body with the same contact patch as a honda civic, this thing would be a beast waiting to open up. Or am I grotesquely misunderstanding this?

Thank you very much for anyone explaining this to me, and I do look forward to learning from your responses.

?????

no secret code to unlock.....more boost more power but more heat hence bigger ic

Quote Originally Posted by petros the plumber View Post
    no secret code to unlock.....more boost more power but more heat hence bigger ic
    So thats really it? We can boost this ski as high as we want, to the point of cavatation and only deal with heat/ic issues? I was under the impression there was boost limiting issues as well?

Not excatly. From my understanding, the SHO/FZR 1812cc motor reads the boost pressure and compensated for increased boost by closing the "drive by wire" throttle. I read that guys who have slapped on the C1 monster charger compresser wheel would see any where to 8-9psi of boost when holding it wide open. After a few seconds the ecm would take over and close down the throttle just a bit to bring down the pressure to around 7psi. Im not completely certain tho. Seems like the ecm is just tryin to safegard the motor from overboost in order to keep reliability high.

And do we have, or should we have the ability in the near future to remap the ECU?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by H2wOah View Post
    And do we have, or should we have the ability in the near future to remap the ECU?
    That will be the no. 1 question of 2009. I would say probably not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe even the SeaDoo guys aren't able to reflash their ECUs and they've been developing on them for quite some time now.

You're not asking just one simple question here. What it sounds to me like you want to know is, how far can a SHO be pushed with a stock motor and stock ECU?

I am also into cars like you. I am very familiar with the 03-04 cobra platform. What you know a Cobra is capable of took years of research, development, and testing with what is a lot bigger consumer base than what there is for the modified jet ski market. If you read through a lot of the threads in this forum you'll see you are asking basically the same questions that are on everyone's mind and that the big manufacturers such as RIVA, R&D, Motec, Vipec, Rius Racing and many others are thrashing on finding out.

Believe me... I would like nothing more that to mod the hell out of my ski and have some nice tuning software like EFI Live, SCT, HP Tuners to help me tune, but it's just not available yet and I have no idea if it ever will be. Becasue I'm so into cars like you I find this very fustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    That will be the no. 1 question of 2009. I would say probably not. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe even the SeaDoo guys aren't able to reflash their ECUs and they've been developing on them for quite some time now.

You're not asking just one simple question here. What it sounds to me like you want to know is, how far can a SHO be pushed with a stock motor and stock ECU?

I am also into cars like you. I am very familiar with the 03-04 cobra platform. What you know a Cobra is capable of took years of research, development, and testing with what is a lot bigger consumer base than what there is for the modified jet ski market. If you read through a lot of the threads in this forum you'll see you are asking basically the same questions that are on everyone's mind and that the big manufacturers such as RIVA, R&D, Motec, Vipec, Rius Racing and many others are thrashing on finding out.

Believe me... I would like nothing more that to mod the hell out of my ski and have some nice tuning software like EFI Live, SCT, HP Tuners to help me tune, but it's just not available yet and I have no idea if it ever will be. Becasue I'm so into cars like you I find this very fustrating.
    Thank you for the response, this is what I was wanting to know ultimately. I got myself into many a trouble with the 04 Terminator after I put the whipple on it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by H2wOah View Post
    Thank you for the response, this is what I was wanting to know ultimately. I got myself into many a trouble with the 04 Terminator after I put the whipple on it
    I've got a buch of buddies who have owned Whipple Cobras. One them is running low 9s on the 3.4 setup. You still have yours or you get rid of it and get the SHO?

Man I wish I could just plug into my show and go to town with tuning.

Yeah, this was her. Got rid of it last year, and miss it greatly. Funnest car I have owned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family 059.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	3.07 MB 
ID:	117667   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Family 060.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	117668  

Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    my dealer said that he has rotax reflash seadoo ecus all the time.....also said he knows someone at rotax so they might not do it for everyone...but he doesnt know anyone at yamaha.....

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information