Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Couple ?? on Jim's Plate

Have a couple questions regarding the modified plates by Jim that I couldn't seem to find. Over a stock oem plate, what are the typical gains people have been getting? I've read anywhere from .5-1mph over modified plates, but what about just the plain ol oem stock plate?

Also, what do these plates typically run? Even if it's just a ballpark figure

Lastly, I read that with Jim's plate, the pump needs to be grinded for it to fit. Is this true, and is this also the case with the XLT? Thanks.

+1
    there are significant gains with the plate from Jim. There have been stock boats (everything stock) that have bolted on the plate (after grinding for the angle of course) and several boats have had a solid 4 and 5 mph gain.

In the jist of things - that is really good, and not hard to believe because just going to a regular aftermarket plate with no grinding can be worth 3 or 4 mph all day long.

It is the single fastest (and cheapest) bolt on speed gainer that we have for the GPR to date.

There have been those that have reported about .5 to 1 over other already modified plates. The best thing about jim's plate is that it gives you great speed and you still retain your handling.

You will need to call Jim for particular pricing because there are several questions that he will need to ask you in order to determine what plate will be best for you.

His number is 727-786-6010 (shop) -- 727-365-5132 (cell).

Disclaimer: There are several people that can do ride plates--and the choice is always up to you on who to use, so please ask any questions that you may have and there will always be someone here to help you in your quest for speed.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    hello nrgy, On the xlt and xll there is no grinding at all just bolt the plate up and you are done. There is grinding to be done on the gpr.

How much grinding? Any pics?

Finals are almost done so I will be calling you on friday Jim to purchase a ride plate.

Any info and/or pics of how and where the grinding should be done? Jim, do you have an e-mail address?

+1
    I've have jim's mod's done to plate (center only with skeks left

went out this weekend (pcb 3-5 ft chop inlet was a mess) I've also installed 05 pump at same time with 14/20 BUT handle was sweet ,I can blow thru big chop better that before ,and more speed (not enought but that another story) if you run in rough water N/P if flat N/P AND if thinking about doing youself ,just send plate, I check # came back spot on

later cd

+1
    I have Jim's plate and I was a bit apprehensive about the grinding to be done. Like an idiot, I didn't take pics of the install. I kept thinking that I was going to use a die grinder with a course cutting bit or a dremel. I soon realized that quite a bit needed to be ground. Certainly not enough to cause any problems, but more than I wanted to tackle like that. So I used a body grinder with some fibre discs like this:

Not only did it do an awesome job, but I was able to do the whole job without taking off the venturi and steering nozzle and all that. The boat sits high enough on the trailer where I was able to just lay on a creeper and do my grinding. A little here, check... a little there ... check. Very easy and I was able to feather it in nicely.

There's more than one way to skin a cat, but this worked for me and was very simple. I'm just throwing this out there because it seems that some of us are a little nervous about the grinding. I was too. I'm here to tell you not to worry about it and that it's very easy. Jim was great on the phone and will answer any questions you may have ... and the plate plain kicks ass.

+1
    thats how i did mine...makita grinder...took maybe 20 min.to do.....plate makes speed............just make sure if your on a gpr to get the 2bar intake grate or you will go swimming.

+1
    I ground my plate clearance the same way. Thank you Makita. Use a piece of paper between the pump components and the plate then while tightening move the paper around to see if it sticks. Do a little more grinding if it does.

Jim, do you also cut plates for FX HO boats?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information