Thread: riva stage 3

riva stage 3

hey guys, am new to this forum,

I have a 04 rxp with full riva stage 3 kit. Engine had done approx 50 hrs
    and then it dropped 2 valves. Am a mechanic by trade so know a bit.The conclusion was that the collets pulled through the retainers, therfore creating a monumental blow up that made me think that there was too much spring pressure in the riva springs.
    Since then the motor has had a complete rebuild with mild head porting and standard spring with custom made titanium retainers, am getting 13.5 lbs of boost at the manifold @ 8500rpm. Am looking at putting an aftermarket inlet manifold on as i think there is much more power to be had. Is there any out there? Also what sort of speeds should i be looking for this.

+1
    Welcome to the forum. This has to be the first case I hear about of collets pulling thru the titanium Riva retainers. Got any pictures of this?

04's are known to have weak valves. You sure they didn't just break off?

Yeah i do! I'll post them up soon

Banned User
    Quote Originally Posted by nat04rxp View Post
    hey guys, am new to this forum,

I have a 04 rxp with full riva stage 3 kit. Engine had done approx 50 hrs
    and then it dropped 2 valves. Am a mechanic by trade so know a bit.The conclusion was that the collets pulled through the retainers, therfore creating a monumental blow up that made me think that there was too much spring pressure in the riva springs.
    Since then the motor has had a complete rebuild with mild head porting and standard spring with custom made titanium retainers, am getting 13.5 lbs of boost at the manifold @ 8500rpm. Am looking at putting an aftermarket inlet manifold on as i think there is much more power to be had. Is there any out there? Also what sort of speeds should i be looking for this.
    Welcome to the forum, What kind of supercharger are you running? From the testing I've seen, there is no big gain from the aftermarket intake manifolds, alittle gain in throttle responce but not really necessary unless you go with big boost(17+ lbs).
    On the speed question- With the Riva Stage III you'll be lucky to run 80 MPH consistantly but if you go with a 2Rude or better, you can be in the chase.. 85 is the new 80

not sure what s/c it is was told its was good for 16.5 @ 8500. Am still running rubber hoses from s/c to intercooler and from intercooler to throttle body (custom ones getting made Loosing alot of boost)

Banned User
    not sure what s/c it is was told its was good for 16.5 @ 8500. Am still running rubber hoses from s/c to intercooler and from intercooler to throttle body (custom ones getting made Loosing alot of boost)
    You'll be plesently surprised when you see 13.5 # of boost.. If you are running a S3 SC your likely seeing around 11 pounds of boost at 8500RPM, with a Rude1 you'll see 13.5-14 #'s of boost,with the 2Rude you'll see 16 #'s of boost, with a ET68-140 I see 16.5 #'s all day and with the ET Extreme 16.5+ plus and increase in air volumn.. The S3 is a good charger but it's a bit dated, once you get your motor fixed up I'd go 2Rude or better if you want to be a contender

+1

I have a 04 rxp with full riva stage 3 kit
    Thought you were running a Riva Stage 3 kit? The stage 3 supercharger will put out a little better than 11 psi boost at 8500 RPM. Also, the Riva stage 3 kit does not have rubber plumbing for the intercooler, It has mandrel bent aluminum plumbing.

sorry, my mistake, bought the kit second hand. Air intake, ecu, rear exhaust and valvetrain are riva (new springs,retainers and collets).Did not get the aluminum plumbing. S/c was brand new but not a riva unit. Is a fair bit larger? Intercooler also seems to be larger than a riva also, so had to mount it differently (waiting on custom plumbing) Under full boost the maifold seems to grow? Is this normal?

Gotta love this sport! 05Limited's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah i do! I'll post them up soon
    Welcome nat04rxp... yes, if you have pics of a collet (keeper) pulling through a titanium retainer it would help us all understand what could happen. It wouldn't be the first time this has happened on a modern cam/valve/rocker configured engine... but may well be the first known example on a 4-tec version.

Thanks for sharing... we all can benefit!

Thread Information