Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,587
    +1
    2

    password to router help?

    Hey, I just realized.. we need to put a password to our Linksys Wireless G router..

    ill just write what it has on top of the router.

    Wirless-G router


    how do I put a password so other people cant just get onto it?

    thanks


  2. #2
    flyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    1,585
    log into the router and it in the admin section

    to log in type http:\\"gateway" into the address bar

    to get the gateway go to the command prompt and type "ipconfig /all"

    as far as the default password try google, but I think it is

    username: leave blank
    password: admin

    could be wrong on the username password, but google will help with that

  3. #3
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    Do you have the owner's manual for it?

    If not, you can download one from the Linksys web site. Just check the exact model code on the bottom of the router, not just the front panel label.

    All the info for setting a password should in the manual. If it isn't then I can walk you through it.

    Be aware that there are two different things to protect. The 'password' is for access to the web pages that configure the router - typically something like http://192.168.1.1

    The other is to protect the wireless radio service your router provides. That security is called WEP, or the better versions called WPA and WPA2.

    Once you set up wireless security, every laptop that needs to access the wireless Internet must also have the same security enabled, with the same passcode.

  4. #4
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Crest Hill, IL
    Posts
    9,512
    +1
    215
    all linksys....

    Hold reset button for 5 seconds with the plug IN....

    The open browser of PC (connected via cable, not wireless)...

    STOP the browser from loading...

    click on address bar, type in 192.168.1.1...hit enter.

    Login screen will appear, leave the user name blank.....password is "admin", lower case...

    You are now in the default settings for the router....change password.

  5. #5
    Greenhulk Grasshopah (DRC) HallPass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    5,587
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Do you have the owner's manual for it?

    If not, you can download one from the Linksys web site. Just check the exact model code on the bottom of the router, not just the front panel label.

    All the info for setting a password should in the manual. If it isn't then I can walk you through it.

    Be aware that there are two different things to protect. The 'password' is for access to the web pages that configure the router - typically something like http://192.168.1.1

    The other is to protect the wireless radio service your router provides. That security is called WEP, or the better versions called WPA and WPA2.

    Once you set up wireless security, every laptop that needs to access the wireless Internet must also have the same security enabled, with the same passcode.

    When I get to http://192.168.1.1/

    cause I guess that is the normal linksys router IP??? It asks for authentication.. aka username and password. I do not know this, I will have to ask my mother.. any way of finding this out online.. or is this something we should know?

    from this will I get into the router admin section?

  6. #6
    flyboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Destin, FL
    Posts
    1,585
    username: blank
    password: admin

  7. #7
    100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    JUST NORTH OF CUBA-- FL,KEYS
    Posts
    2,556
    +1
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    When I get to http://192.168.1.1/

    cause I guess that is the normal linksys router IP??? It asks for authentication.. aka username and password. I do not know this, I will have to ask my mother.. any way of finding this out online.. or is this something we should know?

    from this will I get into the router admin section?
    admin
    admin

    mattman
    ps
    netgear,,
    admin
    password --that 1 has made me so mad a few times(cause i forget it)
    comcast wireless
    admin
    comcast1

  8. #8
    axgrider73's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Southeast Ohio
    Posts
    2,059
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    all linksys....

    click on address bar, type in 192.168.1.1...hit enter.

    Login screen will appear, leave the user name blank.....password is "admin", lower case...
    Not all Linksys routers use the 192.168.1.1 address by default. I have seen some that use 192.168.0.1 as the default IP address.

    Also, some don't leave the user name blank by default. Like Mattman said, some use admin for the default user name.

    Hallpass, if you haven't already, you should at least turn on the encryption (WPA2 if all of your nodes will run it) to try to keep unwanted surfers off your router. I would also recommend using a non-standard subnet, turn on mac address filtering and turning off DHCP as added security.

    Of course, even with all of this it can still be hacked.

  9. #9
    mrbtd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Lindenhurst, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    4,309
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by flyboy View Post
    username: blank
    password: admin
    +1

  10. #10
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,599
    +1
    1,276
    Quote Originally Posted by HallPass View Post
    When I get to http://192.168.1.1/

    cause I guess that is the normal linksys router IP???

    It asks for authentication.. aka username and password. I do not know this, I will have to ask my mother.. any way of finding this out online.. or is this something we should know?

    from this will I get into the router admin section?
    Did you download and look at the manual for your particular model of router?
    It will tell you the default login info.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. sl900 to 1050 help
    By azcornman in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 08-25-2007, 02:21 PM
  2. !!!help!!! I Am Look A Gp1200r Motor To Buy!!!help!!!
    By Nuttin 2 Lose in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-08-2007, 08:54 PM
  3. Impeller-to-Driveshaft Help please!
    By blkturbo! in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2007, 04:23 PM
  4. Ok I dont know what to do :( Help!!!!!
    By NeverEndn in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-22-2007, 01:39 PM
  5. Igni won't connect to laptop - help !
    By 1FastRXP in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-21-2007, 03:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •