+1

Pros and Cons -'02 RX 951

I Have a friend offer to sell me his low hour (36) 2002 RX to me....Not that familiar with that model... Unit is carbed...Anyone give me an opinion on that ski... ????
    Have had a couple of my friends warn me about the 951 coming apart fairly easy....any validity to that, or just sour Yamaha grapes????? What would be a good price for that unit????
    Thanks in advance...
    TW

what do you mean coming apart?

the 951 was a good motor.. those skis had fuel and electrical probs but nothing wrong with the motor itself.

+1

What I meant by coming apart was throwing a rod.....

the motors are not as forgiving as the 800's are/were to one thing that causes them to come apart and that is rusty bearings. if they aren't fogged well before storing, the bearings will rust and since a 2 stroke is oiled the way it is, even a slight amount of rust just gums up with the oil. 36 hours in 6 years is gonna be risky of having some rust. If I had the ski I would pull the cylinder, replace the wrist pin bearings, and pour a bunch of oil in the case and spin the crank a lot to flush the crap out. that is if it is only slightly rusty...

+1
    They are good to 100 hours and thats it...You will love it up until that point.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    BS! Ran a 947 for 300+ hours NOT A PROBLEM EVER! Just take care of it.. don't treat it like some of the others on this board seem to think is reasonable. If you ride in salt flush (I flush with salt away every third ride) and fog EVERY time.. spray the pump and drive shaft with SD lube and spray the engine too. If you take care of it.. should last a long time. Also, for the love of god.. DONT let it sit in the sun and fade. I hate that!

+1

Thanks for the posts guys...just like any other machine...maintenance can prolong anything...... Any idea on a value????

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post

Odd. I had mine for 150 hrs until my cousin swamped it and tried to start it while the engine cavity was filled with water. Not a single problem with that engine.

i had a 01 xp 951 carb one of the best skis i ever and a lot of fun to ride i kept it stock and ran it for 4 years. from what i've seen on the 951 keep them stock and they stay together start hopping them up and problems start to happen

Thread Information