96 xp starter problem

greetings!! I bought a mod 96 xp with hi compression (120) I was told. Had trouble getting it to turn over but fired and took off ..What a sled ride!! Took it out again and starter wouldn't turn motor over. Battery chkd out ok.. Can I get a beefed up starter some where to fit my 96 xp?? what other solutions would you guys have..Thanks..billybrad

Quote Originally Posted by billybrad View Post
    greetings!! I bought a mod 96 xp with hi compression (120) I was told. Had trouble getting it to turn over but fired and took off ..What a sled ride!! Took it out again and starter wouldn't turn motor over. Battery chkd out ok.. Can I get a beefed up starter some where to fit my 96 xp?? what other solutions would you guys have..Thanks..billybrad

well for starters 120 is not high compression.Stock is around 150.You need to check the ground wires and make sure its not the stop/start switch or starter solenoid before you go to replacing starters.Go with an oem starter as they are the best. Also check that battery with a load tester and make sure it is good under a load.

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd800XP View Post
    well for starters 120 is not high compression.Stock is around 150.You need to check the ground wires and make sure its not the stop/start switch or starter solenoid before you go to replacing starters.Go with an oem starter as they are the best. Also check that battery with a load tester and make sure it is good under a load.
    Hey wrong info on comp!!! punched wrong # I'ts supposedly 180. I'm going to follow your lead here when it warms up a bit and backtrack instead of throwing parts at it .. Many thanks...billybrad

+1
    what brand of battery? I would start by cleaning ground wires and battery connections. If its an everstart battery, throw it at the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Stang View Post
    what brand of battery? I would start by cleaning ground wires and battery connections. If its an everstart battery, throw it at the guy.
    Thaks JOE, I'ts an Extreme Magna Power battery by E.P.M. cca275 .sealed maint. free 2 yrs. old chk. out Okay to start other pwc,s at same time. What battery do you run.Thanks ...billybrad

Stock compression for a 96xp is 150-155. If yours is really 180, you are playing with fire by running pump fuel. 175 is the most i would go with on pump gas in that motor. Also, if its really 180, someone has done some motor modifications. Is the head stock? Have you checked the piston squish?

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    If it's a stock 96xp starter the brushes that go around the armature are probably worn, 180psi will do that real quick.

Thread Information