Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hull modification -- 1300r

I don't know if this idea has been explored yet, but I could not really find anything relevant with the search tool.

Part of what makes Leo's Holeshot kit so good is that it flattens the area behind the ski and stops it from grabbing water before it gets onto plane.

Has anyone ever considered cutting off the lip entirely? Essentially, the back of the ski would no longer have the lip or the flat area above the lip. The rub rail could be placed on the hull itself.

Just an idea... I am not going to start cutting just yet...

Isn't the lip there to add rigidity and strength to the hull? Kinda like a body line in a car or an I-beam. I mean think about angle iron, Its rigid in all directions because of its (L) shape. Take away either side of the (L) and you get an (I) and it flexs easily in two directions. I would think the hull would start to flex too.
    Could be wrong though. I am not an engineer, just stayed at a holiday in express.

Haha... not really sure.

It the back lip is a structural member of the hull... I don't think it is a good idea to F with it.

+1
    Its been done info would be in Riva archives,Fercho sent me pics years ago

DANG

=d>=d>
    Quote Originally Posted by megachuck View Post
    isn't the lip there to add rigidity and strength to the hull? Kinda like a body line in a car or an i-beam. I mean think about angle iron, its rigid in all directions because of its (l) shape. Take away either side of the (l) and you get an (i) and it flexs easily in two directions. I would think the hull would start to flex too.
    Could be wrong though. I am not an engineer, just stayed at a holiday in express.:d
    you are a funny rider.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by o uncola o View Post
    I don't know if this idea has been explored yet, but I could not really find anything relevant with the search tool.

Part of what makes Leo's Holeshot kit so good is that it flattens the area behind the ski and stops it from grabbing water before it gets onto plane.

Has anyone ever considered cutting off the lip entirely? Essentially, the back of the ski would no longer have the lip or the flat area above the lip. The rub rail could be placed on the hull itself.

Just an idea... I am not going to start cutting just yet...

I have seen it done numerous times "cutting the rear edge off" on the older GP's back in the race days. It does'nt hurt the integrity of the top deck "sandwich."

Back when me and Nando were putting the holeshot kit on using foam, bedliner or fiberglass. We were looking for something stronger and easier. Fernando had a guy in Houston form one that eventually became the pattern he used.

Leo has done the same thing and it works perfectly...easy to install and absolutely works.

End of story.

If you cut the entire rear edge off, you will have to remove the rails or cut them and reattach them so they don't fall off. Also the angle would change because your ski would be aimed higher without the holeshot pieces.

I think you would actually pop up too quickly and cause cavitation in the pump before the ski would settle down. If that makes sense?

I never tried it...I would just get the proven holeshot kit from Leo and be done with it.

I think I am going to end up going with Leo's kit. Like you said... it works.

But, I just wanted to explore other possibilities to see what people had come to. Cutting off the lip seems like it could have a really beneficial effect. But that does not mean that it will.

Just want to find out if anyone has results from doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by bblackmon3 View Post
    =d>=d>
    you are a funny rider.

Yeah I am hilarious. Nice to see you changed your avitar picture. Nobody wants to see your goofy dome.

+1
    interesting concept.

+1
    I thought about doing the same thing a couple years ago but, did not want water soaking in if it was not sealed properly and also fear of cracking (I like to go jump big waves). I instead put Leos kit on about 2 years ago and never looked back ......(which also helps with ruff water handling)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information