Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

CAUTION WARNING FILLING RIDEPLATE & HULL GAP PLEASE READ

I had a bad experience yesterday. The wife and I went riding yesterday to relax from the busy weekend and I wanted to try out a mod that I have not tried yet.

I filled in the gaps between the rideplate and hull just trying to see if it will help with smooth water transition. Well needless to say, My ski bucked me off at 71.8 the first time. I lost my prescription shades and my TAG Heuer....and sore as hell. It felt as if I got thrown out of a car at that speed when I hit the water.

We went riding again so I could relax and I wanted to find out if it was the water conditions or the hull changes. Well, I did another high speed run and I got chunked again at 71/72 mph and dislocated my shoulder slightly. I was scared sh!tless!!! I thought I broke it......I laid in the water for 10 minutes.......My wife pulled me back to my ski with 1 arm and I was able to push my arm back in place....it stayed numb for a long time, but it eventually regained feeling.......the impact also sucked my scuba zip-up boots off my feet, sucked my gloves off, slapped me on the water a gazillion times and I just knew I was paralyzed on my left side I hit so hard....scared again.......

On both impacts, the initial hit felt as if someone threw me against a brick wall.

I am now going to invest in a neoprene neck brace, which I hope gets here before Mudbug. Considering how hard I hit and got slapped around, I often wonder now if a helmet would have done more damage such as to my neck. Could it have grabbed water inder the chin area and broke my neck? ...?...?....

I have three girls that look up to me and a loving wife that is my life partner. After yesterday's 2 incidents, I am seriouly contemplating not doing any speed runs again.......atleast in superman.....I think for the most apart, it just plain rattled me pretty good.
    I am nervous about making any more speeds runs in the superman mode. When you are in the superman position, you have NO lateral stability above the deckline to help keep the boat balanced withyour body weight. We all do it to transfer more weight to the back and gain a little more lift, but it is dangerous.

The Kerry Fercho handling has been flawless on my ski and glued to the water prior to this change. But doing this change (my own decision) to the hull and rideplate has been greatly detrimental to the handling of my boat. Those litle square gaps are there for a reason. I remember Pistonwash saying that a while back last year.

Well, my bottom line opinion is, DON'T fill in that gap between the hull and rideplate and the little square openings....they are there for a reason. whatever changes it did to the hydrodymamics to the hull, It greatly affected my handling.

You can feel free to do it at your own risk, but Fernando, Me and WFO can give you first hand information on how it can greatly affect your handling. If youdo it, its your choice and your decision. I choose not to do it anymore.

Here were the symptoms I noticed yesterday after that hull change.

~More porpoising, lots of bounce from 18 mph to 55 roughly
    ~More noticable chinewalk at 21 mph. this is typical with GPR's, but more pronounced after I filled in the gap between the rideplate and hull.
    ~Nasty Buck at 70/71 mph. It felt as if I hit an air pocket and/or my boat lost suction at that exact speed both times.

I talked to Fernando and Richard (WFO) yesterday and he said when they noticed it too, they had expericend the same symptoms from the same changes I had doen to my hull. Everything I described to them was identical to my incident.

I am passing this urgent message to everyone becasue I don't want to see anyone else hurt as I was yesterday.

I also please DOn't Never Ever RIde By Yourself !!! If my wife was not there, I would be in bad shape!!

And thank god I was wearing my 100 MPH Slippery Pull Over Life Vest !!

+1
    Glad you are OK Billy.

A good informative post....
    Glad you are OK!! (sore I'm sure)
    The Ski's bottom must be too smooth now, unable to stay held in one position.
    Does your plate have the skegs on it ... and/or were they cut ???

+1
    DAMM...glad your ok...i guess you really need to be superman to ride the superman position....good thing you did not hit your ears on the water..last summer a jrpro slolom skier was riding behind my malibu at 34 mph cutting accross the wake like crazy ...he fell like a mofo and ruptured an ear drum...bounced on his head twice....

+1
    Wow, Billy I hope you are OK. It may take a while to be sure.

I came of an ultra one time and my arm was trashed for 6 months.

I can honestly say I have never come off of a Gp 12 or 13.

Thanks for the info.

+1
    So How Did That Feel?? J/K

+1
    Thanks for sharing dude. That's a whole lotta hurtin you just did...and I'm here to tell you the next 2 days will probably bring out some serious soreness. Keep active, and if possible get some rubdowns.

+1
    Man I feel for you. Things happen quick and end quick at those speeds...huh?
    Glad your ok. I got a laugh out of it only because I've had the same yard sale before where somehow I overstuffed the pump and hit at WOT. My googles, a booty, hat and GPS got ripped off me and was scattered across the water. Busted the googles and totally lost the GPS (that was supposed to float). Turned out the strap around my neck only had a piece of plastic left on it from the GPS. Made me think that strap could of been a bad neck tie.... Another thing to consider. I thought about it after, keeping your arms and legs tucked in seems like a good idea if you have time to think.

Definately will learn from other's mishaps. Thanks for the heads up!
    Hope your shoulder heels quick.

+1
    Billy, glad your ok. WTF were you thinking by sealing the rideplate to the hull. You know this is a cardinal sin on the gpr platform. I have overstuffed the pump at speed but I was lucky enough to control it and come away still sitting on the gpr. My hats off to you bro you didnt only come off once but twice. I thought I was stuborn but I got nothing on you! I agree 100% on the superman position. This should be left to dumbasses who dont know any better.

+1
    Thanks guys !! I have Learned a very very good lesson !

Joe, you have put the term to it well on sealing the rideplate > hull,
    "GPR Cardinal Sin"

.....gotta go take two more Advil now......

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information