Thread: pro-tec CDI

Question pro-tec CDI

there is a protec CDI that is just like the one i have..in the classifieds..was wondering how these are compared to the advent unit...and how many rpm they are..timing curves..ect. since i can't post on the classifieds yet...i'll have to post on here..LOL...thanks... the pic from the classifieds is at this link...don't know how to attach photos....

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...1&d=1235007225

Quote Originally Posted by deereman View Post
    there is a protec CDI that is just like the one i have..in the classifieds..was wondering how these are compared to the advent unit...and how many rpm they are..timing curves..ect. since i can't post on the classifieds yet...i'll have to post on here..LOL...thanks... the pic from the classifieds is at this link...don't know how to attach photos....

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...1&d=1235007225

Hey thats mine.
    Sorry I can't tell you anything about it. Like a lot of this stuff i am selling it came with my boat when i bought it. I know the dude ran it and then replaced it with the advent I have in there now so I would assume the advent is better.

BTW you can reply to a thread in the classifieds, you just can't start a new one. And to attach pics use the litle paper clip icon next to the smiley face.

thanks..

i will have to us it now that i know what i'm lookin for. ya...i haven't heard a whole lot about them..and can't seem to get anyone to tell me..LOL....i though i had to have 50 posts...i guess i shoulda tried it..lol...hope all is well..good luck sellin it.

+1
    Here is a link to the pro-tec timing curve, there is only one curve and the rev limiter is removed. And they do not control the PV motor like advent, but they offered a seperate piece for this. Advent has many different curves to chose from and control the rev limiter sensors and PV's also they have a high power coil option if you run MSD or Sea Doo high output coils. http://www.pro-tecperformance.com/ti...rve_charts.htm

Banned User
    Pro-tec is more reliable

I have one in my 01 XLT1200 and it runs 68.5mph.

+1
    The Protec made sense in 2000 when the R&D and Advent weren't available. Back then it was the only CDI that could be used with triple pipes. Today for a single pipe ski I don't think it provides any benefit.

The Protec simply moves the stock curve to raise the rpm limiter. This has the negative effect of raising the timing for the GP1200R mid range lean spot which is around 5700 rpm.

The R&D / Advent ignitions provide 4 custom curves, raise the limiter and do not close the PVs when the rev limiter is hit like the OEM and Protec CDI do.

If you are looking for an aftermarket ignition I have a R&D CDI available for $300.

Philip
    [email protected]
    Last edited by philip_gpr; 05-11-2009 at 07:12 AM.

i have had an advent in my 1200r for 5 years and it is very reliable well ,worth the bucks

thanks oside bill...i will most likely be using gas powervalves. i have 2 off a skidoo..but it looks like I need some adapters and such to make them work.

Thread Information