Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

i think i stripped something

last week when i was re-tailoring my xpl, i sucked up one of the strapes i use to tie down the back of the ski to the trailor. i got all the rements of the strap out of the pump and such and all seemed fine. went to ride today and when it revs over 3500, the motor suddenly revs high but i actually lose speed. back off the throttle and something catches and all is good again till i go over 3500rpm.

put it back on the trailor in the water and poped the rear hatch. when idling i can hear almost like a metal ding repeatally. cant hear it in the front over the motor. i cant help but think something is stripped out. so where do i start looking? pump? drive shaft/s? flywheel?

going to start ripping it apart tomorrow

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    do you get water in the hull? if you do your shaft is bent and your carbon ring is shot. sounds as if you may have bent the drive shaft. check your wear ring too and your prop.
    I would start there until you find something or not. let us know what you find

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Bent drive shaft and or stripped splines in prop or shaft... is my guess

+1
    No I don't get water in the hull. I don't think the wear ring is bad. The strap might have gotten warped around the shaft and pulled tight till it broke bending the shaft. Good think. Will let you know tomorrow. When I get into it

If this was on your 95 then ride with the seat off.. look at the wear ring and as the revs rise see if water starts spraying through.. it might be a little bit.. it doesn't take much to cavitate. It sounds to me the drive shaft is bent. Did you crawl under the ski while it was on the trailer with the engine running to inspect for drive shaft vibration?

+1
    its on my 98 xpl. i dont think this is cavitation. it only gets worse with rpms and time. its like if your trany went out on your car at speed, you could rev it but you dont go faster, just slowely coast to a stop.

i took the pump off and the rear shaft out. got a good look at both ends of the front shaft and the flywheel. i dont see any damage on anything. the rear shaft doesn't look to be bent (from me eyeballing it and rolling it on a flat surface).

the only problem i found was that i had water in the pump oil. that wouldn't cause a problem like this would it?

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Nope. You must have stripped the front driveshaft or the engine PTO. If that is what happened your engine was probaby not aligned properly.

+1
    i cant find anything stripped. heres pics of the shafts. i cant get a pic of the flywheel but it seems to be fine also. im at a loss. could the carrier be bad?

The carrier could be bad, but would not cause the symptoms you have described.

+1
    oops forgot the pics. here they are. i think i am going to put it all back together and hope it works. if not then i will be back.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI1274.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	118245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI1275.JPG 
Views:	41 
ID:	118246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI1276.JPG 
Views:	42 
ID:	118247  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information