Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

The old what oil to use question AGAIN

Ok, Ill be honest. I didnt feel like sifting through pages of threads to find the answer from the last time someone posted this so I decided to bring up this debate again.

What is the oil that people are using in place of BRP oil for the 4-tecs? I believe it was motorcycle oil but im wondering what brand and grade... I cant remember from the last time this was discussed.

I have to go to the dealership to buy the filter so Im not against buying oil while im there (ive been using brp oil for almost a decade now anyhow) but I do rememeber people talking about another oil found at walmart/autozone... if it saves me a few bucks, maybe ill try it.
    anyone?

+1
    motor oil

A while back, I considered using regular castrol synthetic 10w-40 but some people were against it.

Quote Originally Posted by RXP-REX View Post
    thats an option. My two-strokes use amsoil.. I could just add it to my next order...

+1
    I was told by my service mechanic when I bought my ski that Seadoo oil came to them with Castrol stamped all over the pallets and that regular castrol 10-40 was fine. He thought it was the same oil as in seadoo bottles and ran it in his. He whispered it to me. I've been running it for 20 hours with no issues.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    I was told by my service mechanic when I bought my ski that Seadoo oil came to them with Castrol stamped all over the pallets and that regular castrol 10-40 was fine. He thought it was the same oil as in seadoo bottles and ran it in his. He whispered it to me. I've been running it for 20 hours with no issues.

that was my plan a long time ago but people argued agaisnt it.

its known that it is castrol brand oil.. I dont see whats special about it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twelvesorbetter View Post
    that was my plan a long time ago but people argued agaisnt it.

its known that it is castrol brand oil.. I dont see whats special about it.

It's in a special bottle.

2-stroke oils are a horse of a different color. Rave valve engines will be affected by using a cheaper oil.. but I think that 4-stroke oil should be 4-stroke oil if its the correct grade and etc.

Im not going to cut corners just to save a few bucks.... but castrol synthetic 10w-40 would he half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    That was an old myth a long time ago. Jerry thought the same thing. However, tests have been done showing that the Castrol is NOT the same and is NOT as good of a choice as the SeaDoo oil.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information