Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Getting 14lbs of slip on 2Rude charger

I am posting for a friend. He is trying to find out how to get 14lbs of slip on a 2Rude setup. Originally he had 11lbs on new rebuild with Rude, before disasembling he checked and only had 8.5lbs. He had it put together with the new 2Rude wheel and installed 2 shims along with new Riva washers but is still only at 11lbs of slip.

How can he get it up to 14lbs of slip? Can more than 2 shims be used?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    I am posting for a friend. He is trying to find out how to get 14lbs of slip on a 2Rude setup. Originally he had 11lbs on new rebuild with Rude, before disasembling he checked and only had 8.5lbs. He had it put together with the new 2Rude wheel and installed 2 shims along with new Riva washers but is still only at 11lbs of slip.

How can he get it up to 14lbs of slip? Can more than 2 shims be used?
    He is gonna have to mic out the spring washers, some of them may be too soft...also he needs to mic out the gear to see if its within spec...

Is he using the stainless spring washers from Mcmaster? Usually 1 or 2 of them at 2.1-2.15mm and 3-4 original washers that have compressed to 1.8-1.85mm should give him about 150-160 in/lbs. of slip without any shims...

When I rebuilt my S3, I used 1 stainless washer at 2.15mm and 4 used washers at 1.83mm, a new gear, and slipped (when wet with oil) at 125 in/lbs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    He is gonna have to mic out the spring washers, some of them may be too soft...also he needs to mic out the gear to see if its within spec...

Is he using the stainless spring washers from Mcmaster? Usually 1 or 2 of them at 2.1-2.15mm and 3-4 original washers that have compressed to 1.8-1.85mm should give him about 150-160 in/lbs. of slip without any shims...
    He is using the original rebuild kit with new Riva washers. Where do you buy the Mcmaster spring washers?

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus13letter View Post
    He is using the original rebuild kit with new Riva washers. Where do you buy the Mcmaster spring washers?
    NO MORE than 2 at a time on weak springs...usually 1 is good...The Stainless steel ones hold their spring a lot bettr and longer, but are HARDER to compress...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#96475k278/=owrtn

+1
    Thanks Danny! I let him know. This will definately help him out.

+1
    Gus. It is pretty normal to need 3 shims to get to 14lbs slip with slightly broke in riva washers. Dont be suprised when the 3rd shim locks it up. If that happens he will need to sand the L ring with emery cloth or sand paper until he gets 14lbs. This thread should help.
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=78668

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Gus. It is pretty normal to need 3 shims to get to 14lbs slip with slightly broke in riva washers. Dont be suprised when the 3rd shim locks it up. If that happens he will need to sand the L-nut with emery cloth or sand paper until he gets 14lbs.

Banned User
    +1
    Sanding the L is a good solution, but I would recommend against it...because once the slip comes down again another shim will not work.

The lowest a used OEM style washer will mic is 1.75-1.80mm (new is 2.15mm), so when combining with the steel washers that barely compress under 2.05 when used, its the combination that will get you to where you want...Steel/OEM/OEM/OEM/Steel, or OEM/OEM/OEM/OEM/Steel, etc...

ALSO, mic out the shims. Most shims are 0.2, but some are 0.1...I ordered a mixture of shims from Mcmaster at .1, .2, and .3.....BUT they were 14.0mm ID, not 14.2, so they did not fit the SC shaft....

Mix and match before you sand the L, because you must sand it evenly to get even pressure on the springs...

OH, and 2 shims is the way to go.....If you go 3, then bring it back with a stiffer washer...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Sanding the L is a good solution, but I would recommend against it...because once the slip comes down again another shim will not work.

The lowest a used OEM style washer will mic is 1.75-1.80mm (new is 2.15mm), so when combining with the steel washers that barely compress under 2.05 when used, its the combination that will get you to where you want...Steel/OEM/OEM/OEM/Steel, or OEM/OEM/OEM/OEM/Steel, etc...

ALSO, mic out the shims. Most shims are 0.2, but some are 0.1...I ordered a mixture of shims from Mcmaster at .1, .2, and .3.....BUT they were 14.0mm ID, not 14.2, so they did not fit the SC shaft....

Mix and match before you sand the L, because you must sand it evenly to get even pressure on the springs...

OH, and 2 shims is the way to go.....If you go 3, then bring it back with a stiffer washer...
    Great info thanks Danny!

Use thinner shims, Green hulk ones tend to be around 8thou. I got some shim material from work and punched out 4 5 and a 10 thou shim.. It gives you more adjustment when setting the slip, saves having to sand down the nut..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information