Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About to Pull the Trigger

Hey guys, I just joined Green Hulk forum after looking high and low for a good place to get some info on PWCs. This is by far the friendliest and most informative site, and I looked through many.

I just moved to a great place on the lake in GA, and with the mercury on the rise I've been getting the Jet Ski, PWC bug. I've done allot of research the last month and a half, visiting dealers, reading reviews and testimonials, and I'm leaning heavily towards a pair of 2007 Honda Aquatrax F12s.

They're new, never been in the water, zero hours, I don't know the lingo yet and I'm not quite sure how experienced owners would classify them. Either way the dealer has the pair priced in my range.

The most important factors for me are
    1. Reliability
    2. Price
    3. Operational costs (gas/oil consumption)
    4. Maintenance costs (oil change etc.)
    5. Performance

Now I know most of you are big time riders so you’re thinking why I put performance last. It's because I'm fairly new to this rec sport. Throughout my years I've had the pleasure of riding friend and rental PWCs but I've never really thought about being an owner. I'm also getting older and the desire for flat out speed just isn't there. Reliability on the other hand is big for me.

With that being said would anyone care to share any words or wisdom, or advice? You could also look at my inquiry as, "If I had to do it all over again, I would have done this. Or "I wish I would have known "this" about being a PWC owner.

Sorry for such a long post, this is my first one and I wanted to fully explain myself. I'm open to hearing from any and everyone. Please keep in mind that I'm new to this and still learning, so the questions I might have might seem simple. For example, I just got schooled on the whole two stroke vs. four stroke technology, which is why I'm no longer in the market for a used 2 stroke. It seems unanimous that two stroke is history. I'm also realizing as well as blown as to how many modifications aka "mods" can be done to these machines.

Look forward to learning more.

JVS

Definitely go with the hondas. Their plenty quick and very reliable. I bought a 00 polaris slx last spring, and for the amount I have into it already I could have bought a decent used honda. Whats the price on those. The leftover models around me dumped in price bigtime.

They are asking around 8K, but I think I can get them down more. I just want to wait too long before someone swoops in and grabs them.

ive only had my R-12x for a few months but from what i've read and seen so far, they are great skis!

Do you think 8K is a reasonable for an 2007 F12? Also what's the deal with the break in period for these skis. I read a bunch of post where someone said to ignore the 10 hour period and just go flat out and ride it hard?

Yeah I'm a coucher, and proud of it! ticketplease's Avatar

about to pull the trigger

I have 2 Hondas. A 2 seater and a 3 seater, both turbos. I bought the 3 seater, F12X model first last March, it's a 2007, new leftover model. Rode it thru the summer, handles great, good on gas, not as good as the non-turbo but better than my 1993 Sea-Doo SPX 2 stroke. You will also have all day comfort on that big puppie! I was going to buy the non-turbo but everyone talked me into the turbo model for resale reasons. I don't plan on selling for 5-7 years but I will probably sell them after a while, seems ya sell everything after a while. Price last March on the 2007 Turbo GScape was $7,495.00 so you should get the 2007 non-turbo a year later for around $7,000.00 maybe even $6,799.00. I see the 2006 models on Ebay for that.
    I sold my Sea-Doo to a friend and bought the R12X last August. It's a 2005 new left over and I got it for $6,495.00. Lot's of fun to cut up on. I really like it but going across the big sized lake I'm on at 55 MPH can be a bit bumpy where the F12X just cruises thru the waves.
    Reliability? The non-turbo models should be practicly trouble free and next to no maint. No lubing the turbo's after every outting. Put in the lake, ride, pull out of the lake, repeat. Once every ten hours give the zerk fitting a couple of pumps of non-moly grease for the drive shaft, I use Lithium Grease. Couple of times a summer flush it for 5 minutes, I supose your only using it fresh water? If salt = lot's of maint. And once every 50 hours oil and a oil filter. Spray down the engine compartment with CR-656 each 10 hours also. Make sure when you park the skis leave the seats cracked open and the glove box and front storage area open a hair to let the moisture dry out. Don't leave PFD's in the front compartment between uses either, they WILL MOLD.
    The manual has specific break in procedures. They are easy. Not sure where everyone gets the ten hours but maybe it took that long to empty the first tank. Anyhow my manual says,
    5 minutes at idle, fifteen minutes at 2,000 RPM, 15 minutes at 3,000 RPM's and then finish out the tank of gas not going over 5,000 RPM's. After that you can ride as you please. I extended the times to 10, then 25, then 25 then till the end of the tank but after you can go 5,000 or less you are pretty much riding how you want. So I'd say the first 35-40 minutes it's a little tedious but after that your on your way to having a great time.
    I'm sure others will chime in. I'd try to get them to go $14,798.00 for 2 skis and a double trailer. My trailer is a black shorelander, double and I got it for $1,200.00 from the dealer. So 2 skis at $6,799.00 plus the trailer is $14,798.00 plus the taxes of course, that's probably another couple of grand right there.
    Good luck and have a great summer!

I'm also looking into Honda's specifically the F12x. I have a few questions that the original poster may also have. How is the turbo lag on these Turbo models? I have heard its quite doggish and slow up till 20mph and then it takes off. Is this true? How is it riding with 2/3 people?

My final question. Do these turbo model skis take regular, mid-grade, or premium fuel? I have heard different answers from different people including dealers.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteg240 View Post
    I'm also looking into Honda's specifically the F12x. I have a few questions that the original poster may also have. How is the turbo lag on these Turbo models? I have heard its quite doggish and slow up till 20mph and then it takes off. Is this true? How is it riding with 2/3 people?

My final question. Do these turbo model skis take regular, mid-grade, or premium fuel? I have heard different answers from different people including dealers.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Great questions Whiteg, those are also things that I'm thinking about. I'm now also going through the whole F12 vs F12X Turbo debates in my head. Instead of getting 2 F12s I might get one of each.

I haven't found the turbo lag to be bad at all. you punch it and it pulls pretty hard and within 1 to 1 1/2 seconds the turbo is hitting and it will cavitate the pump unless you feather the throttle. That's from a dead stop. Going along riding at anything over 15-20 MPH it FEELS like a four barrel kicking in on a carburated v-8. Still 1 to 1 1/2 seconds and it's hitting.
    Riding with 2-3 people I'm not sure. I just ride 1 up.
    Deffinatly preminum gas! the knock sensor will kick in and slow down your boat if it starts to detonate the lower octane fuel. But remember a completly empty boat holds 16 gallons of fuel. Preminum fuel is 12 cents a gallon more. 12 cents times 16 gallons = $1.92 a tank. And that is if you had to put 16 gallons in it which you will never do. Probably $1.50 to $1.60 extra per tank, not allot for the proformance.
    Hope this helps.
    I'm totally stoked with my turbos. I'm sure if you were riding in the ocean and jumping waves where you hit the throttle and want instant responce a turbo isn't what you'd want but riding on a lake where you go from area to area the extra speed to get there is a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by jvs518 View Post
    Great questions Whiteg, those are also things that I'm thinking about. I'm now also going through the whole F12 vs F12X Turbo debates in my head. Instead of getting 2 F12s I might get one of each.

Don't get one of each. Thye non-turbo will never get ridden and your friends will get stuck with it because you won't give up the turbo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information