Fast and Reliable

I have an 06 GP1300R arriving in June, and need some advice?

Whats the best mods to do to get a reliable but fast enough ski? most of the machines here are 01,02 GPR's (most standard, a few stage 1+'s), FX-HO's and the odd RXP (standard, for now).

I was thinking of putting on a riva rplate, 14/20 dynafly, 2 bar grate, worx sponsons, PPK, and trim tabs, this should be able to get 70mph?

one question i have is if i put a d-plate , do i need to install the EFI? can I get away with just having the d-plate and sensor? (need this so i can use regular 2-stroke oil?)

I live quiet far away from the techies, and don't realy want to wrench too much. just be able to beat the other GPR's and maybe the RXP in a cc situation.

the other thing was i was only planning to spend 1k on upgrades.... for the next 6-7 months anyway........any help is appreciated, thanks

+1

Re: Fast and Reliable

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus
    I have an 06 GP1300R arriving in June, and need some advice?

Whats the best mods to do to get a reliable but fast enough ski? most of the machines here are 01,02 GPR's (most standard, a few stage 1+'s), FX-HO's and the odd RXP (standard, for now).

I was thinking of putting on a riva rplate, 14/20 dynafly, 2 bar grate, worx sponsons, PPK, and trim tabs, this should be able to get 70mph?

one question i have is if i put a d-plate , do i need to install the EFI? can I get away with just having the d-plate and sensor? (need this so i can use regular 2-stroke oil?)

I live quiet far away from the techies, and don't realy want to wrench too much. just be able to beat the other GPR's and maybe the RXP in a cc situation.

the other thing was i was only planning to spend 1k on upgrades.... for the next 6-7 months anyway........any help is appreciated, thanks
    First Yamalube isn't that bad. I would hold off on the d-plate and look to the list below first!

You should be fine spending less then $1K! In fact about $700 should do the trick. You can also save a little i fyou buy the new stuff here on the the Hulks store. he has some discount code for forum people...

Here's where I would start:
    You can do a home PPK (~$8.00) Saving $55
    1200 intake grate (A MUST!) (~$100)
    R&D ride plate fixed up by Jim (~ $450)
    Also a jetworks mod is a nice add on for a hole shot helper (~$75) (simple kit! you can see the other posts on the forum about it)
    and last be NOT least a tach... MANY will tell you to get a PET but I rather like my Tiny Tach Com. (~$65)

The Ride plate will be your biggest single mod speed gain under $500! Over the last year it seems that the ride plate has gotten more and more attention and credit for some of the big speed numbers that people are seeing. You can spend a lot of money on things that sound cool (the "Power Core" is a great example of what NOT to get! Way over priced for lesser results.)

That list should get you around 70 mph...

I'm doing all this for the wifes '05 (same ski as your '06). I'm also doing Reed Stuffers to help her hole shot and adding the EFI and DF14/20. With what I'm doing for her it would add about $550 to your total. I expect her ski to hit 72ish

But if you're on a budget but want a peppy ski the listed mods should make you happy! The hardest of the bunch to install is the jetoworks and it's not that bad.

ANYONE CHIME IN IF YOU SEE A FLAW IN MY POST!!!!!!!

+1
    I agree with RXPkiller 100%. Get the machine and do a nice, easy break in. If you want super reliable but pretty darn fast, you really don't even need to touch the motor right away.

1) Pump Plug Kit
    2) R&D 2 Bar Intake Grate
    3) Jim's Modded R&D Plate (WELL worth the money)
    4) Hood & Bucket Air Mod (free)
    5) Step the stock sponsons if needed (free)

And as RXPkiller said, Jetworks mod as an option.

You've just spent very little money, haven't touched the motor, and you'll be moving along at a pretty good clip!!!

+1
    TTT

Good thread guys.

excellent feedback as usual, thanks guys - I aready have a riva rplate that i recently purchased for my 01 GPR.

Is the Jims ride plate really that good? Can i purchase from Jerry's store?

This is a good list. I would also add the 14/20 Dynafly. I would hold off on the hood/bucket air mod and just open up the air scoop on the right side of cowling to match the left side. You can always run with the bucket out when you like and get the same benefit as drilling a bunch of holes in your hood and bucket.

Thread Information