Looking at 1997 Wave Venture

Hi all,
    I was directed to this site by people in one of my fishing boat forums that I follow. Looks like they were right, we good info here.

I'm looking at buying our PWC. 1997 Wave Venture 1100. Asking $2850, including 1-place trailer and a aluminum lift. Checked NADA, seems reasonable. Says there is only 40 hours on it (seems hard to believe). What actually should I be looking for? I will check the compression, from reading here sounds like I would want to disconnect the oil injection and go pre-mix. I haven't seen it in person, only pics he has sent me. I have requested records for maintence and any service work performed. Just trying to get an idea of anything I should ask. Thx for your help.
    Coolwater

sounds like a good buy with low hours .. is it a ski that sat in salt water ?if so check the jet asmb. for corrosion ( the liner around the impeller can swell and hit the impeller) ..i'm thinking you found a cherry one thats a trailer queen and just needs to be ridden..A test ride till hot ,would be the next test as this could indicated bearing issues.(as this has such low hours, ask if it was fogged before it was stored) find out if the engine was flushed of fuel or put away with gas stablizer.. (if not you may need to get the carbs rebuild as the old fuel may have varnished the systems).. make sure you flush the tank as well if you buy it..( you sound to be a fisher man ,do as you would with an old john'arude and you'll be fine )

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    I would be very weary of buying an older ski with 30 hours on it. Sounds like it sat most of its life, not really good for a ski. I sold my GP800 for $2550 a month ago and it was a VERY nice ski and also a 2000 in amazing condition.

there is truth in sitting machinery going bad, if not put away right.... thats why he needs to ask questions and ride it. my gp760 had 45 hours and has had not a lick of issues from sitting.. ventures a nice big ski with the larger motor in it , with the trailerand a lift , ( at say 500 for each.. extra ) he is getting a good deal... its the luck of the draw ..

Thx for the prompt responses. The ski is in Michigan, used on an inland lake. My first questions to him was regarding winterizing, stabil, etc. I agree, things sitting over time isn't a great thing. On the otherhand having a ton of hours on can also take its toll. I think I may go for it. If it has problems I only have $2850 into and have a trailer and lift. Its the chance you take buying used. Thx again for your input. Wll post if I buy it.

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    Very true, but the way this market is there are many great deals to be had so do not just settle on that particular ski.

www.craigslist.com
    www.boattraderonline.com
    www.ebay.com

I just bought a 97 waveventure and a GP760 for $2500 including trailer.

Better deals can be had. Especially in the offseason. Wait it out.

I had a shot at one last summer around here... same thing, 97 Wave Venture. I drug my feet too long. I just ended up getting a 97 SeaDoo GSX for $700, needs some engine work. Still wish I have gotten the bigger Venture.

Old School Never Dies! codemanrose's Avatar
    If I could find an 1100 Venture that would be nice for the wife. OR a nice clean 700 or 760 Raider.

+1
    Dave D has one PM him...although I get the speedo off it =0P

Thread Information