Thread: fuel

+1

fuel

Florida Peeps........Where do you buy 91+ fuel with out ethenol? The HESS station up the street sells 93 but has 10% ethenol. Does all fuel at the pump in FL contain Etnl?

Thanks.
    Last edited by driveumhard; 02-22-2009 at 02:46 PM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by driveumhard View Post
    Florida Peeps........Where do you buy 91+ fuel with out ethenol? The HESS station up the street sells 93 but has 10% ethenol. Does all fuel at the pump in FL contain Etnl?

Thanks.
    I just saw last week a station that had a sign saying there was no ethanol in their fuel. It may have been a Marlin in Islamorada, not 100% sure on the station. I thought it was mandated that it had to have the ethanol though. Don't know how they get away with not having the ethanol if it is mandated. If I see it again I'll post it, maybe stop in and inquire.
    I use the Stabil for ethanol when I fill up.

Edit:
    Found this from last April, from Miami Herald. Looks like 2010 is the mandated deadline, if it was passed.

Ethanol hits South Florida gas stations by August
    BY MONICA HATCHER
    [email protected]
    TALLAHASSEE -- Cleaner gasoline could be a reality for Florida drivers sooner than most people think, and, in some areas, well before regular is likely to hit $4 a gallon.

While House lawmakers in Tallahassee are considering a sweeping energy bill Friday that would require all gasoline sold in Florida to contain at least 10 percent ethanol by 2010, most motorists in Orlando will have made the switch by the time the legislative session ends next Friday.

Gas stations in South Florida could be competely transitioned to ethanol-blended fuel by early August. ExxonMobil finished retrofitting its gas storage facility in Port Everglades on April and said most of its stations in South Florida will start selling E10 fuels exclusively by the first week of May. Hess stations changed over months ago.

E10 gasoline contains 90 percent gasoline and 10 percent ethanol, which in the United States is chiefly derived from corn. In addition to reducing greenhouse gas-producing emissions and other tail pipe pollutants, it is cheaper than conventional gasoline.

Ideally, consumers would see savings at the pump -- up to 16 cents a gallon. The price for a gallon of ethanol was more than a dollar cheaper on Friday than the average gallon of conventional regular at $3.57. And the federal government also gives a 5.1 cent tax credit per gallon of ethanol.

But the cost of building new infrastructure and transporting the fuel, which cannot be pumped through a pipeline, means the savings won't necessarily be passed on by the oil refiners. A spokeswoman for ExxonMobil said the company would price competitively with the market.

Brian Jennings, executive vice president of the Sioux Falls-based American Coalition for Ethanol, said E10 fuels were about 15 cents cheaper in the Midwest, but in most markets the average pass-through savings were three to five cents a gallon.

Still, proponents of E10 say the standard will help in reducing dependence on foreign oil and cleaning up the atmosphere. About 870 million gallons of conventional gasoline will be replaced with the cleaner-burning fuel by 2010, according to the state's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

''Prior to just a few weeks ago, there were only tiny amounts of ethanol being sold in Florida,'' said David Mica, executive director of the Florida Petroleum Council, ``The flood gates are about to be opened and there will be a tremendous amount of ethanol being marketed in this state. As we speak it is really ramping up.''

The rapid shift to E10 gasoline comes five months after Congress passed the Energy Independence and Security Act, which requires the phased-in replacement of 36 billion gallons of gas with renewable sources by 2022, 21 billion gallons with biofuels like ethanol. The law calls for roughly an 8 percent replacement by the end of the year.

New rules issued in March from the state's Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, which regulates fuel quality, made it easier to blend ethanol with ordinary gas has also contributed to the swift changeover.

By enacting the 10 percent mandate, Florida lawmakers would simply be putting the state ahead of the curve.

''Every motor vehicle, marine engine, and small engine can operate on E10,'' said Phil Lampert, executive director of the National Ethanol Vehicle Coalition.

Lampert did note, however, that some collector cars and very old vehicles could have problems with the fuel.

+1
    Thanks for the info. I've always tried to avoid ethenol but looks like I will have no choice.
    I've also noticed that most marinas have 89 octaine w/ethenol.
    Last edited by driveumhard; 02-23-2009 at 08:20 AM. Reason: sp

+1
    that station is in islamorada !! i fueled up there valentines weekend !!! sucks everyone will have it but gotta enjoy the one station i have ever seen without it !!!

100 MILES OF HEAVEN AND I AM SMACK IN THE MIDDLE KEYZBUM's Avatar
    +1
    i just made this sign for my station
    then the cold front ripped it down
    my boss has to find and order non/eth fuel from a couple of diff. ports....
    most of the time it comes from tampa,,port evrglades has eth/fuel most of the time
    mattman
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture2-23-2009-11.20.28 AM.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	118477  

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    We have no choice!

It is the Marlin in Islamorada. Passed it today.

Thread Information