Finding a leak...

I have gone through the boat and it seems I still have a bit of a water leak.

I thought I got and yesterday and went out again today, when I got home and was looking in the boat... ...there's water??? I have NO idea where it's coming from!?!?!?!?!?!

Any hints on where to start looking???

+1
    scott did you check all of your hose clamps?

did you leave it on the trailer at the ramp (but in the water) and let it run while your head was in there?

Did you check around the head to see if any water was dripping out? (Gasket on backwards?)

Just some ideas.

Could it be coming from the water intake manifold (attached to the exhaust manifold)??

Ahhhhh----Here is a good one to look for-----Did you remember to hook up the small water hose that goes underneith the biggest portion of your exhaust pipe in front of head #1 (the tiny hose that runs from cylinder #1 to the center portion of exhaust pipe)???

I'm going back over everything tonight and I'll be taking it down to the water on Friday afternoon to do some checking...

Still nothing... All the places you THINK would be the cause are NOT. I wont know more until Friday night.

Thanks for the input Abbott!

+1
    In the driveway, fill up the bottom of the ski with a waterhose. If it is an external leak, you might find a very small dribble out of one of the bolts. Watch the carb height.

The pump tunnel would be the other thing.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrotoys
    In the driveway, fill up the bottom of the ski with a waterhose. If it is an external leak, you might find a very small dribble out of one of the bolts. Watch the carb height.

The pump tunnel would be the other thing.
    I thought about bolts holes. Any inparticuler? I was looking at the front of the intake grate, the two up there maybe? I have reenforced the tunnel, and that looks good and feels smoth inside!

I got looking at the duckbills tonight also (new) but there was some oil and water in there and I'm not sure if they may have leaked?

The one other thing I was thinking was that I did some big jumps today. I don't think any water got in, but maybe some found a way. I have a number of air ways that might have let something in.

I will check out a number of things when I go to the launch on Friday afternoon.

Thanks for the ideas, I'll be checking them close!

+1
    Duckbills leak. They are great for removing water in a hurry, but in general, if you sit around more than a minute or two, expect some water. Keep them well greased, and give them a regular exam to check for zipties, etc...

Duckbills leak. They are great for removing water in a hurry, but in general, if you sit around more than a minute or two, expect some water. Keep them well greased, and give them a regular exam to check for zipties, etc...
    INTERESTING!!! I was sitting for about the last 30-40 minutes because my friend still had gas (silly stock skis... lol... ) I was on the buzzer so I just sat there and wathced and relaxed. I may have picked up some (a lot) of water???

I will keep a close eye on that when I let her sit in the water tomorrow.

If that's the case what about adding a second pump? I see that there's not a way for some of the water that gets infront of the wall under the battery tray to get removed... That's were the build up is. I wander if it comes in and then get pumped out everything EXCEPT what can't get back to the rear of the boat where the pump and duckbills are...

Again, thanks for the info... it get my mind turning. I'm sure I'll get this figured out soon!

I saw that... If that's my issue, I may hit you and see how it worked out for you.

Thread Information