+1

Rideplate comparison/XL Limited Stage II update

OK... The XL is running strong, time to check out Jims plate. Went out today with the Protec still on, was averaging around 62.5, consistent with the run I had a couple of weeks ago. This is a new motor, just broke in, still running rich.

Pulled the ski out and put on Jims plate. This was a good chance to see what the differences in the plates were. The Protec is formed to match the shape of the hull, it's a clean match to the "V" of the hull.

The modified Riva plate from Jim is markedly different; it has a large flat area for the riding surface, and appears to extend further back too.

Once on the ski, you can see the severe drop off from the "V" of the hull to the flat area of the ride plate. I wondered if the turbulence from that area might affect the top end. The ridges to the side of the flat ride surface suggested that it would track a lot straighter than the V of the Protec plate.

Installed the plate, no shimming, just to see what the bolt on performance was. I immediately noticed the difference. It comes on plane much quicker, and handling was much better, as predicted. No sliding across boat wakes anymore, just a straight shot across them. The ski rides solid now.

First high speed run, runs smooth, straight, but I've got a mild full speed porpoise. Checked the GPS... 64.9. Wow... but that was with the wind. After running both ways, looks like it's averaging 64.5 or so, or a 2 mph gain over the Protec plate. I wish I had a stock plate to compare the results to.

End result? I've got a Protec plate for a XLL or XLT for sale.

Great numbers! Nice gains... The plate is a big deal!!! You can read up on a lot of info for the rideplate, I wont go on and on, but that protec you show is NOT a good design for so many reasons!

+1
    I never was very happy with the Protec, the ski always felt sloppy. I've got to shim it up to get rid of the porpoising now. Might try that later today, and see how the purdy ADA head is working.

Thread Information