Polaris SLTX 1050 crank hull question

My motor is getting rebuilt at a shop with a decent repuatation. The ski had 280 hours on it. -1996 SLTX 1050.

The guy is boring all the cylinders, and putting new crank seals in, pistons, ect. He says my crank is "ok".. I asked him if I should replace it and he said "it has some wear but I think you will be ok, and told me that the hours I have on it are only 1/2 life. he said the crank seals were bad, and is replacing those.

Do you guys think I will be ok? Id rather not spend $300.00 on a re-built crankshaft if I dont have too, but am nervous. It is getting new crank seals. what do you think?

Also, I am re-doing my hull while its apart. It is SMC "sheet molded compound". I used a air tool with a sander to get rid of some resin the previous owner had on it. I think I went too deep though. Maybe near 3/8 of an inch in this resin filled area. I didnt know I was getting into the SMC.... thought I was still in the resin. Anyways, I used some really good epoxy to patch up my mistake. "west systems:. My question is does anyone know how thick the SMC is on the bottom of the hull... I want to know if I made a big mistake, and am going to be screwed when I get in the water, since I used the sander soo deep. "it is patched now with epoxy, but like I said I was about 3/8" deep into it right in the middle of the bottom of the hull. the area I grinded down was about 4 x 2 inches. (area)

thanks for your time....

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by motox1027 View Post
    My motor is getting rebuilt at a shop with a decent repuatation. The ski had 280 hours on it. -1996 SLTX 1050.

The guy is boring all the cylinders, and putting new crank seals in, pistons, ect. He says my crank is "ok".. I asked him if I should replace it and he said "it has some wear but I think you will be ok, and told me that the hours I have on it are only 1/2 life. he said the crank seals were bad, and is replacing those.

Do you guys think I will be ok? Id rather not spend $300.00 on a re-built crankshaft if I dont have to, but am nervous. It is getting new crank seals. what do you think? If the guy/shop has a good reputation, I'd go with his recomendation. But if your nervous, and if it would make you feel better about the rebuild, then get the rebuilt crank also. $300 is cheap for a rebuilt crank.

Also, I am re-doing my hull while its apart. It is SMC "sheet molded compound". I used a air tool with a sander to get rid of some resin the previous owner had on it. What kind of resin was it? Polyester? Epoxy? If polyester, did ya get it all out? I think I went too deep though. Maybe near 3/8 of an inch in this resin filled area. I didnt know I was getting into the SMC.... thought I was still in the resin. Anyways, I used some really good epoxy to patch up my mistake. "west systems: The best material for your repair!. My question is does anyone know how thick the SMC is on the bottom of the hull...I've been wanting to know that answer myself. Doing some work on my hull as well. I want to know if I made a big mistake, and am going to be screwed when I get in the water, since I used the sander soo deep. "it is patched now with epoxy, but like I said I was about 3/8" deep into it right in the middle of the bottom of the hull. the area I grinded down was about 4 x 2 inches. (area) If you did a good job of prepping/cleaning the area, and used glass cloth/ chopped glass in the repair, I'd say you will be ok. I'd go one step further to insure that the repair will not be a problem. I'd reinforce the patch from the inside of the hull too. Atleast twice the area or more than the patched area itself.

thanks for your time....
    Welcome to the Hulk! Can we get some pics of your repair?

Lake Mead Bum & BTLS Mark starflight's Avatar
    +1
    I had a small crack/hole (circled in pic) that leaked oil from a spill inside the hull. I used a grinder to open the area to be repaired so I could build it up w/glass cloth.
    I cleaned with acetone, and poured a little epoxy resin in the hole. I then applied a layer of cloth, then more resin. I added chopped glass, then another layer of cloth. Topped it off w/ more resin. if you did the repair like I did, you should be ok. I'm still gunna reinforce my repair from the inside too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM3031.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	118476  

Thread Information