Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 XP maintenance questions

I just bought a couple 96 XP's that are in VERY nice condition. I bought them from a lady who is now 65 years old. She and her sister would putt around the lake they live on. She sold them so she can get a new PWC that is more stable. All maintenance was done at one dealership. Anyways, I'm looking for some advice for maintenance items to do before summer.

Both skis still have the grey fuel lines. I plan to replace them and clean out the carb screens.

The sparks plugs are black and it looks like the machines were not opened up very much. New plugs will be going in. The spark plug boots have zipties around them, so I don't think they'll need to be trimmed back.

I want to clean the RAVE valves and grease the driveshafts. Tell me if I have the right locations circled in the picture.

The VTS motor on one machine is rusted and has a dirt line on the bottom of the cover. It looks like water has been in there. The other machine looks to have a new VTS motor since there is not one spec of dirt inside the cover.

One machine has mold in the front hull area by all the fuel connections and electrical connections. Should this be a concern?

I'll end by attaching a few pictures.

+1
    This might help you:

http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48629

Also, take apart the rave at the waterbox and inspect the metal clamp holding the rubber bellows. Typically there is a sharp point that makes a hole in the bellows. If it hasn't already, use some needle nose pliers to turn that pointed clamp the other way.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Nice find! hard to find them these days in that condition!

drain fuel tank (cheap fuel siphon from harbor frieght)
    clean fuel selector switch (lots of q tips and good carb cleaner&blow gun)
    clean carbs (sbtontheweb.com has videos)
    replace fuel lines (i use fuellinebiz.com)
    clean rave valves (i use amsoil powerfoam)
    backflush engine (salt terminator from academy)
    clean fuel filter/water seperator (elbow grease on this one..lol..)

if the trim still works, use it till its dead, when it goes, i think a 93 nissan 300zx passanger side window motor works (dont quote me cuz im trying to pull from memory) and it's a lot cheaper and is identical.

and yes, a couple pumps of a grease gun in the spot circled.

That is an awesome find man! My question is.. who was the salesman that talked these older ladies into buying an XP and not a 3 seater.. Hell, a GSX would have been a much better purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by 800X-4rider View Post
    That is an awesome find man! My question is.. who was the salesman that talked these older ladies into buying an XP and not a 3 seater.. Hell, a GSX would have been a much better purchase.
    I don't know. The old ladies must have had a wild side 12 year ago.

I'm very happy to find that compression in the 2 machines was between 151 and 155 psi in all cylinders. The RAVE valves were never cleaned and had a ton of build up on them. I spent a good part of the afternoon cleaning the 4 valves. The trim on both machines works great. I just need a couple new batteries, synthetic oil, and 18 gallons of gas since both gas tanks are bone dry!

What grade of gas does everybody run in their machines? 87, 89, or 91 octane? I live at 800 feet elevation.

+1
    I run 91 in mine...first figure out what compression you have in the ski's and that will help figure out which octane gas you need. also dont forget to change the jet pump oil. I alway change it once at the beginning of the season and once about a month before i put it away for the season.

jeepinwi-i see it says you're in eau claire about a hour and a half west of me...how's the snow treatin ya?

Hey Gorilla-
    The cold engine compression on both machine was between 151 and 155 psi in all cylinders. I'll probably just run premium gas in the engines since gas is so cheap now.

As for the snow...I'm glad it's melting today. We only have about 4 inches on the ground now. Can't wait for warmer temperatures. I went down to Milwaukee on Sunday to pick up the XP's, and they got a lot more snow from the storm that went through on Saturday.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepinwi View Post
    Hey Gorilla-
    The cold engine compression on both machine was between 151 and 155 psi in all cylinders. I'll probably just run premium gas in the engines since gas is so cheap now.

As for the snow...I'm glad it's melting today. We only have about 4 inches on the ground now. Can't wait for warmer temperatures. I went down to Milwaukee on Sunday to pick up the XP's, and they got a lot more snow from the storm that went through on Saturday.
    I would stick with 91 to be safe. i've got the '95 xp787...the vts have had problems with leaking through the rubber boot on the outside of the hull, I just noticed when i took mine to the boat ramp to start it up and noticed mine is leaking...

yeah we've got about a foot here but it's supposed to rain tonight and tomorrow here

NO NO NO NO NO! Do not run premium gas unless you have an engine that requires it. Running premium gas in a stock 787 will not only lessen it's power but it could cause damage over time. I'm sure others will chime in on this one.. for now read this:

http://www.bargaineering.com/article...-gas-myth.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information