Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

EGT or AFR gauge

I will be tunning my ski in with LM-1 as i have in the past.

I will be monitoring fuel pressure and boost all the time.

I am thinking of putting another permenant gauge on my ski to monitor how rich or lean my ski is running so that I can use that along with the fuel pressure to know all is safe.

I know that the wide band sensors (Lm-1) dont last for all the time use. Just for testing.

My question is how accurate are the regular AFR sensors and will they last. Its not wide band.
    Here is pic of what i am talking about.

That setup is only 90 bucks and the sensors are only 25 bucks to replace. I was told that this AFR setup will only read AFR at WOT but that would be fine if it was accurate. Anyone have info of this setup let me know.

What about running a egt sensor. Will this sensor last for permant use. Can the egt sensor be connected in the same bung as the 02 sensor with a reducer????

The egt setup is 100 bucks more then the one above.

So if you had to choose which one would last for permanent install, would be it be the egt sensor or the regular AFR sensor.

Thanks for any help.

Being dragged kicking and screaming into 1997 afcblink's Avatar
    I have no experience with EGT on a 4-stroke, but found them invaluable on my old two stroke motorcycles — very consistant, and very easy and predictable to tune to. They also use them for in-flight adjustment of piston-engined aircraft, and those guys can afford to use anything they want.

that air/fuel gauge is narrow band. as far as monitoring im not sure how helpful it would be. you need a wide band air fuel to be accurate.

is there a reason you say the lm-1 sensor dont last long. could you use something like the lc-1

i have used the dynojet wideband commander for a long time on my vehicles just never tried it on a ski yet. i dont see why the sensor would fail on a ski though

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meansvt00 View Post
    that air/fuel gauge is narrow band. as far as monitoring im not sure how helpful it would be. you need a wide band air fuel to be accurate.
    That is what i was wondering, if a narrow band will work on our skis.

is there a reason you say the lm-1 sensor dont last long. could you use something like the lc-1
    I will be using a LM-1 to setup ski. Last year I had good luck and some bad luck keeping a good sensor on ski. I have had the sensors go out after a few uses and had one last for over a month and still is good. The wideband 02 sensor does not like our high moisture invironment in the exhaust.

i have used the dynojet wideband commander for a long time on my vehicles just never tried it on a ski yet. i dont see why the sensor would fail on a ski though
    I have heard some good things on EGT sensors.
    Can someone tell me if the EGT sensor will last on our skis, and is it as accurate as the wide band AFR meter???

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    I've used EGT's probes for years on my 2 smokes with never a failure

I don't think it will be an issue at all on the 4 strokes as they are mounted much closer to the exhaust ports... not just above the water box

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meansvt00
    That is what i was wondering, if a narrow band will work on our skis.

I will be using a LM-1 to setup ski. Last year I had good luck and some bad luck keeping a good sensor on ski. I have had the sensors go out after a few uses and had one last for over a month and still is good. The wideband 02 sensor does not like our high moisture invironment in the exhaust.

That makes sense with the high moisture. i guess with the sensor being so close to the water box and there is always moisture in there would cause some issues.

im sure the narrow band will work but the data is almost useless. also you would most likley have the same issue with failing sensors due to the same moisture issue.

where is the bung for the 02 in the j-pipe or is it the x-ski in the manifold

i myself dont have experience with exhaust temp gauges only on my brothers turbo diesel truck

+1
    I just got off the phone with Dynatune, and it does not sound like the narrow band is going to be very accurate, although i am only looking for something to monitor and will be setting the the ski with wideband.

If anyone has experience with monitoring with AFR with narrow band let me know your thoughts.

Also they have a heat sink that we can use to help the life of the 02 sensor.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meansvt00 View Post
    That makes sense with the high moisture. i guess with the sensor being so close to the water box and there is always moisture in there would cause some issues.

im sure the narrow band will work but the data is almost useless. also you would most likley have the same issue with failing sensors due to the same moisture issue.

where is the bung for the 02 in the j-pipe or is it the x-ski in the manifold

i myself dont have experience with exhaust temp gauges only on my brothers turbo diesel truck
    My bung is in the header on the RXP and I will be installing a bung in exhaust mani on T-X when get time.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    I just got off the phone with Dynatune, and it does not sound like the narrow band is going to be very accurate, although i am only looking for something to monitor and will be setting the the ski with wideband.

If anyone has experience with monitoring with AFR with narrow band let me know your thoughts.

Also they have a heat sink that we can use to help the life of the 02 sensor.
    I saw that heat sink also but I dont think it would help at all because our exhaust pipe is already water cooled. So our exhaust pipe at least when compared to a car that is not water cooled is already running much cooler.

+1
    What do you guys think about running the narrow band all the time when not tunning with LM-1????????

Its only 90 bucks and sensors are cheap. Could set ski with LM-1 then go back out with narrow band and get a base setting to go off of. Then run narrrow band all the time. I will also be running fuel pressure so between the 2 gauges i should have a good idea what is going on per conditions.

Would the narrow band afr work good for this or a waste of time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information