Thread: Polaris Race

Polaris Race

Does anyone here race a polaris ski? If so What model/yr. are they good ski's for racing Pro's and Con's ( I would like to here more Pro's than con's) Let me know I have a 780 that i would like to build into a race ski but before i drop any money into it I want to know if it's worth it. Also are a sl 650 and sl780 the same Hull design?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crash1235 View Post
    Does anyone here race a polaris ski? If so What model/yr. are they good ski's for racing Pro's and Con's ( I would like to here more Pro's than con's) Let me know I have a 780 that i would like to build into a race ski but before i drop any money into it I want to know if it's worth it. Also are a sl 650 and sl780 the same Hull design?
    If you want to race a Polaris save any of the money your gonna put into your 780 and buy a Pro 785

Bottom line is no its not race worthy, Its power and handling are not up to snuff. If you want to do runabout 785 the Pro785 is one of the best boats for the class. The Octane is a very competitive ski in standup. The Hurricane will be very completive ski in the sport spec class. And the Pro1200 and MSX are decent ski's for 1200 class.

can you put a 785or 800 motor in a sl785 hull? Are the hulls much diffrent? The reason i ask is because i have 2 polaris hulls a sl 650 and 780

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Crash, both SL hulls you have are the same. Not the best for racing, matter of fact, they're not very good in choppy conditions.

They can be made to handle better, but not great.

A PRO 785 is a factory race boat. 130 HP triple piped, lightweight hull that turns EXTREMELY well.

A 785 engine can be made to fit in one of your hulls, but it would take alot of time and some $$ to do it.

Much better to buy a PRO outright. They're extremely underpriced IMO as of lately. You can pic up a really nice one for around $2500 and under lately.

You wanna race a Polaris, that's the one to get....

racing

We have raced Pro1200's and pro 785's as well as Octanes more recently and won back to back British Championships in club racing classes, we were not too competitive with the pro's against XPL's which handled much beter in the chop, but outline drag speed in the hole shot it took a good boat to beat us!

We are building a hurricane for sports at present...............so watch this space.

OM

Like others have said, if you are racing runabout, the Pro 785 is the way to go. They can be had for a reasonable price and are ready to race. I will be selling my limited this spring. I'm in texas. PM me if you are interested.

+1
    I did pretty well in off shore races with a X-45. (My first time to race I ran in the beginner class and took first in that class, but was also ahead of everyone in the novice class.) SLTX and Virage have same hull. That hull is not good for closed course racing though.

Thread Information