Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Rideplate Bolt???

I recently bought an 02 GP1200 with some mods already done to it. Last week I got my 05 Pump Conv. from IR. When I tried to take off the ride plate I found the right rear bolt to be stripped. Under further investigation I found that bolt isnt stipped its the piece on the inside of the hull that is broken loose. Can this be fixed?? How hard will it be?? I am fairly mechanical but I am new to working on skiis.
    I am ordering a new R&D plate Monday from Jim and need to get this fixed for the new plate and install of the pump conversion.

i have this same problem. i tried taking off my ride plate a week ago and realized i have a stripped bolt housing. the bolt is almost all the way out so it sticks out past the bottom of the ride plate. it wont tighten or loosen anymore. i am thinking about just cutting the head of the bolt off and take the rest of the bolts off and remove the plate. then maybe try to yank the bolt housing out. but what is the best way to replace it and what kind of adhesive or apoxy should be used to reset the threaded bolt housing in the hull?

+1
    guys do a search on this there has been a lot of helful tips on fixing! (use newer brackets 04 and up I think)

Welcome to the forum!
    Same thing happened to me. I had to pull out the battery box, waterbox, and exhaust (sound suppresion, etc) behind the battery box. I had my son undo the bolt as I held the insert from inside with a pair of vice grips. Once we had the bolt out, I had to heat up the epoxy on the remaining 3 rideplate inserts with a small butane torch while using a screwdriver in a prying motion to "unpeel" the epoxy. I was very careful not to apply too much heat. Just enough to get the epoxy moving. Occasionally I had to use the screwdriver as a "chipping tool" to carefully break the epoxy loose. Once that was done, I simply popped the inserts upwards using the rideplate bolt to remove them. I then ordered the newer "bootstrapped" rideplate inserts and reinstalled with Marine 5200.
    I have heard of several people simply "re-epoxying" the old inserts back in, but I did not want to chance having to redo it at a later time.

awesome...sounds fun , i guess i will be trying that this weekend.

+1
    Thanks for the help.
    Sounds like I have my work cut out for me.
    Does anybody happen to know also if there are any torque specs. on the bolts for the pump? I got the conversion, but it didnt come with any instructions and I dont want to over-tighten.

+1
    Here they are.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img031_134.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	540.1 KB 
ID:	5753  

+1
    Welcome to the forum

~ditto on what r33 said
    the inserts on the 00-02 are brass inserts that are only held in by the glue fromthe factory. You need the newer updated brackets that are both attached together. Much stronger by design.

These are the inserts you need. see pic.
    this pic is from pistonwashes boat.

Mine did the same thing, its an 03. All i did was use a pair of vise grips to hold the insert. Becareful not to tightin them to tight. Or you can crush the insert. Once I got the bolt out I ran a tap through all of them. Then I just used marine tex and reinstalled. If it happens again I will update the brackets.

just GOT TO DO IT! great lakes gpr 1200's Avatar
    FYI, I made mine out of a piece of 80/20 1.5 inch stock.. about ten minutes. drill to 5/16 -18, cut 1.5 inch long. mill 1/4 inch off and glue down.
    put them in milled edge down, glue them in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information