Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Towing with a Jeep Patriot

Has anyone done any towing with one of these? I just purchased one and am questioning wheter or not it can handle a 2 place with my 2 seat polaris on it. It has the CVS ( I think that is what it is called) trans in it. I had a hitch and trans cooler installed also. I put the trailer and tooled around the neighborhood and it seemed to pull. I need to adjust the axel to move some of the tounge weight though. Seemed to jerk the jeep around.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated..

Exclamation

It says your car can tow 2,000 lbs. With skis it can be up to 1,700 lbs. plus the trailer weight and then of course the weight pulling against your car. It will be close, but it should be able to manage. BARELY!!! Don't climb hills, you will burn out the tranny

+1
    2,000 lbs seems a little weak for a jeep, but that's what the specs say. What is the total weight your trailer with skis on it? You will need that to determine your tounge weight. I think it is about 10% total weight of the trailer on the tounge.

As with all trailering, take it easy! Especially if your are cutting it close with towing capacity.

+1
    Your 2000 rating is way safe. Will pull 3000 easy with no harm. Not to worry pulling up hills. Your tranny will NOT burn. I retired in 2007 from Chrysler ( the factory) after 40 years--much of that with Jeep division after Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987. Enjoy your jeep. RANGERMTB5 is right on--you need some more tounge weight.

Thanks for the help guys. I am concerned about the trans. It has that CVS (I think that is what it is called) trans in it and I know nothing about it except it is crazy to drive.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 Pro Mick View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. I am concerned about the trans. It has that CVS (I think that is what it is called) trans in it and I know nothing about it except it is crazy to drive.

Don't worry about the trans, you said you had the trans cooler installed also? You just want to avoid overheating the trans, and with the cooler, you will be fine.

Did you determine the total weight yet?

Quote Originally Posted by rangermtb5 View Post
    Did you determine the total weight yet?
    No I have not, they are in storage and a relatives garage. I need to look everything up. I have 2 polaris skis, one SLXH 1050 and a PRO 785 with a Karavan galvanized trailer. I believe the way it is set up, it has excessive tongue weight. You can feel it on my 1/2 to extended cab silverado, even when it is empty. I know the last trailer I had I was able to lift it by myself, bad back and all. With this set-up, I need help. I do not have any experience with CVS trans. All my buddies that are mechanics do not have and feedback on this trans either and that is my main concern.

Again guys I REALLY appreciate the feedback.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sundance View Post
    Your 2000 rating is way safe. Will pull 3000 easy with no harm. Not to worry pulling up hills. Your tranny will NOT burn. I retired in 2007 from Chrysler ( the factory) after 40 years--much of that with Jeep division after Chrysler bought out AMC in 1987. Enjoy your jeep. RANGERMTB5 is right on--you need some more tounge weight.
    Do you have much experience with this trans? All I know it is like riding a snowmobile, no change in RPMs when driving until you get to speed. My buddy that rebuilds transmissions for a living has little experience with this thing and could offer little feedback.

Pretty sure its called a CVT transmission. You should be ok but I would make sure its not over 2,000 lbs. Those trannys are not known for taking high amounts of torque so if you will be pulling up hills a lot I would take it easy on it. Its just a 4 popper under the hood you know.

2,000lbs is low for a Jeep. This is the Patriot which is, sorry to say, hardly a Jeep.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 785 Pro Mick View Post
    ...2 Polaris skis, one SLXH 1050 and a PRO 785 with a Karavan galvanized trailer.

I believe the way it is set up, it has excessive tongue weight. You can feel it on my 1/2 to extended cab Silverado, even when it is empty. I know the last trailer I had I was able to lift it by myself, bad back and all. With this set-up, I need help...
    Polaris SLXH dry weight is about 530lbs, and the Pro 785 dry weight is about 480lbs.
    Fuel fuel tanks would add about 140lbs, say about 1200lbs total for both PWC with fuel+oil, and a small amount of other stuff onboard.

I suspect the Karavan double PWC trailer weighs 400-500lbs, so your total is under the 2,000lb tow rating (if you have the Patriot trailer tow package installed, which I think only comes with the 'Off-Road' 4wd package).

A tongue weight of about 140lbs would be 7% of 2,000lbs, and 10% of 1,400lbs. That 140lbs gets subtracted from the available load capacity inside the vehicle.

You can use a bathroom scale and some wood to measure the tongue weight at the coupler, and then adjust the bow stops to shift the PWC backwards or forwards on the trailer bunks to get the tongue weight correct.

If you can, start with one PWC on the trailer. Position that PWC until the tongue weight is correct, as a percentage. Then load the second PWC, and shift it around until the added tongue weight is correct. That way, when either PWC is loaded, the tongue weight should still be close to correct.

If a 140lb tongue weight seems heavy, install a quality trailer jack, and use that to raise and lower the coupler onto the ball.

Tongue weight is typically 5-10% of total trailer weight, with 7% being a common number. The best guide is how well the trailer tows behind the vehicle at various speeds. If it wags left-right at certain speeds, or bounces oddly over bumps, then reduce or increase the tongue weight until it gets better (within reason).

Make sure the trailer tires and axle are in good condition, and the trailer is not bent, warped or tracking poorly. Make sure the coupler is properly clamping the tow ball - often there is a tension adjustment underneath the coupler. If there is excess slop with the drawbar fit into the receiver (especially the Class II hitches), that can aggravate a trailer wiggle issue, and also make noises.

Early generation CVT transmissions often were rated for zero tow weight, and also suffered from unexpected failures.

More recent generations have different tow ratings, depending on the CVT design and the vehicle. What is clear is that CVT transmissions are expensive to repair or rebuild, and often simply get replaced with a new unit when they fail.

That said, CVT transmission reliability has improved as the manufacturers get more experience with them.

Don't max out the rated trailer towing weight, AND max the weight load inside the vehicle. That would really stress the driveline. It may be able to handle it, but you are better off not doing so, from the reliability and handling perspectives.

Keep in mind that with limited horsepower, acceleration will be OK, but not fast. Keep the highway speeds down to near the speed limit, to reduce the driveline stress and wear.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Polaris SLXH dry weight is about 530lbs, and the Pro 785 dry weight is about 480lbs.
    Fuel fuel tanks would add about 140lbs, say about 1200lbs total for both PWC with fuel+oil, and a small amount of other stuff onboard.

I suspect the Karavan double PWC trailer weighs 400-500lbs, so your total is under the 2,000lb tow rating (if you have the Patriot trailer tow package installed, which I think only comes with the 'Off-Road' 4wd package).

A tongue weight of about 140lbs would be 7% of 2,000lbs, and 10% of 1,400lbs. That 140lbs gets subtracted from the available load capacity inside the vehicle.

You can use a bathroom scale and some wood to measure the tongue weight at the coupler, and then adjust the bow stops to shift the PWC backwards or forwards on the trailer bunks to get the tongue weight correct.

If you can, start with one PWC on the trailer. Position that PWC until the tongue weight is correct, as a percentage. Then load the second PWC, and shift it around until the added tongue weight is correct. That way, when either PWC is loaded, the tongue weight should still be close to correct.

If a 140lb tongue weight seems heavy, install a quality trailer jack, and use that to raise and lower the coupler onto the ball.

Tongue weight is typically 5-10% of total trailer weight, with 7% being a common number. The best guide is how well the trailer tows behind the vehicle at various speeds. If it wags left-right at certain speeds, or bounces oddly over bumps, then reduce or increase the tongue weight until it gets better (within reason).

Make sure the trailer tires and axle are in good condition, and the trailer is not bent, warped or tracking poorly. Make sure the coupler is properly clamping the tow ball - often there is a tension adjustment underneath the coupler. If there is excess slop with the drawbar fit into the receiver (especially the Class II hitches), that can aggravate a trailer wiggle issue, and also make noises.

Early generation CVT transmissions often were rated for zero tow weight, and also suffered from unexpected failures.

More recent generations have different tow ratings, depending on the CVT design and the vehicle. What is clear is that CVT transmissions are expensive to repair or rebuild, and often simply get replaced with a new unit when they fail.

That said, CVT transmission reliability has improved as the manufacturers get more experience with them.

Don't max out the rated trailer towing weight, AND max the weight load inside the vehicle. That would really stress the driveline. It may be able to handle it, but you are better off not doing so, from the reliability and handling perspectives.

Keep in mind that with limited horsepower, acceleration will be OK, but not fast. Keep the highway speeds down to near the speed limit, to reduce the driveline stress and wear.
    Good advice..... just take it easy while towing and you should be fine, if at all possible I would avoid any areas with serious grade as that will be very hard on your set up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information