how many hours is too many for rxp sc

im looking to buy an rxp in a couple of months, and was wondering if you guys can give me some good advice on buying a used one and what to look for. i have an xpl right now im working on selling. i know they should do any where from 67-69mph right? i know to make sure the sc wahsers are metal. How many hours is too much? How many hours do most of them get before they need rebuilding? thanks

+1
    Superchargers should be inspected and shimmed around 50 hours or less if running a big aftermarket sc like the Rudes etc. They should be rebuilt at 100 hours and the new ski's will lose their warranty if they're not. Look for something with less then 50 hours on it. They are everywhere if you look hard enough. Good luck. By the way, there are seadoos with over 1000 hours on them so they doo last if you take care of them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    im looking to buy an rxp in a couple of months, and was wondering if you guys can give me some good advice on buying a used one and what to look for. i have an xpl right now im working on selling. i know they should do any where from 67-69mph right? i know to make sure the sc wahsers are metal. How many hours is too much? How many hours do most of them get before they need rebuilding? thanks
    I bought an 06 RXT a year ago after selling my 951. I bought one with 14 hours on it and it had the ceramic washers. Before I even started it up (excluding the place where I bought it from), I had them changed out. IMO, if it has the ceramic washers intact, that's a good sign that they have not broke. If the metal washers are on, you know that they have been changed out and whether this change out was due to the owner knowing this inherent flaw and taking precautions, or if it was because they broke, and then he replaced them is quite important. You should test drive it and get around 8100 RPM at WOT. Also, 67 mph is on the high end. Your gauge will probably read 69-70, but as you're aware, that's not accurate. Make sure the hull is in good condition and there are no deep gouges, because as you will notice, there are other threads circulating about the gel coat peeling off because water gets into it if there are deep gouges. I'm a fan of buying new or slightly used PWC's, just because you never know how well they were maintained or how hard they were ridden. If you do proper maintenance, they will last a very long time. There are people on this forum that claim the have 500+ on their 4 tec. You need to change your oil every season or every 100 hours (even more frequent for hard driving). If the previous owner does not do this, it will reduce it's life. That's why when buying a PWC, you should really look for low hours. There are compression tests to be done, but not necessary if you test drive it and pay attention to the RPM's. If it has 100+ hours, ask if the supercharger, SC cluth has been rebuilt. They will last longer, but it's a good precaution to have it rebuilt at those hours. What year are you looking at? Someone chime in since I don't remember off the top of my head, but wasn't the 06 SC assembly built differently than the previous 04-05's? My first ski I ever bought had 120 hours on it. I rode it for 30 hours and it ran perfectly at the proper RPM's and everything. It was in decent physical condition. Then it got swamped by my cousin and ruined. But I would seriously stay away from high hour machines because as I previously stated, you don't know if the person had bad maintenance habits or how hard it was ridden.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaGoat View Post
    Superchargers should be inspected and shimmed around 50 hours or less if running a big aftermarket sc like the Rudes etc. They should be rebuilt at 100 hours and the new ski's will lose their warranty if they're not. Look for something with less then 50 hours on it. They are everywhere if you look hard enough. Good luck. By the way, there are seadoos with over 1000 hours on them so they doo last if you take care of them.
    I don't like the idea of buying a modded ski unless you know the person. Agree?

I would say "know and trust" the person... Ron

Quote Originally Posted by ajrunke View Post
    I bought an 06 RXT a year ago after selling my 951. I bought one with 14 hours on it and it had the ceramic washers. Before I even started it up (excluding the place where I bought it from), I had them changed out. IMO, if it has the ceramic washers intact, that's a good sign that they have not broke. If the metal washers are on, you know that they have been changed out and whether this change out was due to the owner knowing this inherent flaw and taking precautions, or if it was because they broke, and then he replaced them is quite important. You should test drive it and get around 8100 RPM at WOT. Also, 67 mph is on the high end. Your gauge will probably read 69-70, but as you're aware, that's not accurate. Make sure the hull is in good condition and there are no deep gouges, because as you will notice, there are other threads circulating about the gel coat peeling off because water gets into it if there are deep gouges. I'm a fan of buying new or slightly used PWC's, just because you never know how well they were maintained or how hard they were ridden. If you do proper maintenance, they will last a very long time. There are people on this forum that claim the have 500+ on their 4 tec. You need to change your oil every season or every 100 hours (even more frequent for hard driving). If the previous owner does not do this, it will reduce it's life. That's why when buying a PWC, you should really look for low hours. There are compression tests to be done, but not necessary if you test drive it and pay attention to the RPM's. If it has 100+ hours, ask if the supercharger, SC cluth has been rebuilt. They will last longer, but it's a good precaution to have it rebuilt at those hours. What year are you looking at? Someone chime in since I don't remember off the top of my head, but wasn't the 06 SC assembly built differently than the previous 04-05's? My first ski I ever bought had 120 hours on it. I rode it for 30 hours and it ran perfectly at the proper RPM's and everything. It was in decent physical condition. Then it got swamped by my cousin and ruined. But I would seriously stay away from high hour machines because as I previously stated, you don't know if the person had bad maintenance habits or how hard it was ridden.
    i will probably be looking for either an 04-06, im limited to about $5,500, but the way things have been lately, i shouldn't have a problem picking one up for that price. Also ive never really rode another 2 person ski besides my xpl, how does it handle with two normal size people that way about 150 each? since i just got a new engine, i figured it would be a good time to sell it so it doesn't blow up in my face again. thanks for the input guys

+1
    The RXP's are very stable. You won't have any problems with 2 people on it .

Quote Originally Posted by ajrunke View Post
    I don't like the idea of buying a modded ski unless you know the person. Agree?
    id personally prefer a completely stock ski that has never been taken apart so that i know when i do the mods, its done right and no parts or screws or missing, but i think 67mph would be good enough for me, only thing i would do is maybe a airfilter and impeller.

Quote Originally Posted by abarrassr07 View Post
    older S/C when the fail are being re-built with the 08 S/C kit, all 08 and up ski recommend re-building the S/C every 100 hours, but you should check your slip often and shim as necesary, some floks say 10hours, some say 50hours, I say check when you notice a diff.

Thread Information