95 Waveraider 700 Problem

Hi all, first post on a great site and I hope someone can help me. Just bought a Waveraider a few weeks ago and had it out a couple of times with no problems. Its my 1st ski and its got plenty of power and its small enough to throw around in the surf. My problem started last week when it was running fine for about 1 hour when after run in some small waves it suddenly would rev above 3500 rpm. It idles fine and runs ok up until 3500 or so but just wont go any harder. So after getting back to shore and checking it out, nothing obvious looked wrong. So went back out and found if you turned the fuel tap off, it would come good for a few seconds and then die. So obviously I though that tells me its flooding or similar but another issue has cropped up as well thats thrown me off a little. I noticed after I got back that the rubber hose between the top muffler and the water lock/box had completely split. I'm sure it wasn't like that earlier in the day. So here's my question. Do you think it maybe a blocked water lock or other exhaust problem that blown the pipe out? Or do you think its more carby related. I think i've proved its not mechanical by it running ok when the fuel tap is off. I checked the compession last night and both cylinders are at 160. Any ideas on why the hose split? Any help would be great. Cheers Mick.

+1
    It could be a few things....but I guess we need to know more. It could be from cavitation of the prop when it's in the ocean. It also could be a lean condition. I would not try turing the fuel off while it's running. This could cause a lean run away and destroy the engine in a hurry. I would suggest however that you invest in the carbs. is this the 2 cylinder 701/760 or is it the 1100?

M

+1
    Welcome to the forum. It is very strange that the hose split, they don't split without reason. Being that it is an older ski maybe the hose was rubbing against the hull from not being installed properly. It may have been taken off at some point.

Do you know when the carbs were last rebuilt, if ever?

+1
    guess I should have read more before opening my mouth.....helps to read the WHOLE problem...duh

M

No worries, its the 701 62T. The hose was not rubbing at all and 'was' in good condition. I think its a symptom rather than the cause. After it split it was spitting burnt 2 stroke oil that defiently wasn't there before. As far as I know it looks like the carbys have never been touched. The skis in great condition and I find it hard to believe that the carbys would 'stuff up' as quick as that. I'm confident I can take them and have a look but dont want to touch them if I dont have to. I dont know much about water locks but I'm leaning toward somethings wrong with that and its not allowing the engine to breathe which could also explain the pipe. I've got it out now it and nothing rattling inside but is there anything else to look for. Do these 'stuff up'? Cheers

Thread Information