95 slt750 colour change

I am looking to get rid of the purple colour as i'm not crazy about it. I'm wondering what other years/models are a replacement. I'v seen seat covers on ebay but what about the rest?(hull trim, handle bar cover, glove box)

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Sorry Tweeder, Those SLT's only came with teal and purple.

You're gonna have to paint your existing parts.

And welcome to the Hulk....

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Sorry Tweeder, Those SLT's only came with teal and purple.

You're gonna have to paint your existing parts.

And welcome to the Hulk....

Thanks, I thought about painting them with plastic paint but wasn't sure how durable they would be. I wonder if dying them would do the job?

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Some guys have used the Krylon Fusion paint for plastic and had good results.(my sponsons chipped pretty easily)

Some others have also used the Plasti Dip (rubber coating) on parts with good results.And some so-so results.

I guess it all depends on how well everything is prepped and coated.

+1
    I used Krylon Fusion and wasn't really happy. Chipped too easily. Note chips on grabrail, after one season. And I definitely prepped them well! Cleaned, sanded, cleaned again, masked and painted..... Not bad for $7 though. Never even thought of Plasti-dip!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Grabrail.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	789.7 KB 
ID:	118855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Paint Hydroturf.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	797.5 KB 
ID:	118856   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1923.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	575.3 KB 
ID:	118857  
    Last edited by delagem; 02-25-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: Bad dog! No peanut butter!~

Base/Clear coat painted from an place that paints cars. That is how the general was done. Got to watch the rub rails, but it has held up well. You can go to a fabric store and get vinyl to recover your seat. Not hard to do. Make sure you use s/s staples .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
    I am looking to get rid of the purple colour as i'm not crazy about it. I'm wondering what other years/models are a replacement. I'v seen seat covers on ebay but what about the rest?(hull trim, handle bar cover, glove box)
    Hey tweeder, welcome to the forum First things first... Ithink you should keep the orginal colors but thats me . There is a product that is used on todays plastics bumper covers and all the other cheap crap that we build our cars and big rigs out of called "Bull Dog" adhesve. It preps the plastic ,fiberglass and other non metal parts to except paint and stick to it well. Check with your local automotive paint supply shop Look up a local ppg or place that supplys the local body shops. If you decide to to stay with the o.e. colors I will reply back tommrow with some stuff that was made by dupont just for gm that fixed there recall on the crapy black plastic that would fade . YE HA !!!!! GOD IS GOOD. DANG IT BOY!!!!!!!!!!

I just priced out the bumpers and man are they expensive. They want 160 for the right, $180 for the left(not sure why they are the same) and $75 for each corner piece, the nose cone was discontinued. I was thinking why couldn't I use a different colour from a different machine? If the nose and corners are the same, all I would have to do is measure the sides and if need be use 2 pieces and line up th eholes accordingly and cut the sizes I need. In my mind it'll work....but will it?

any thoughts?

My brother-in-law has a 96 SLX780. Graphics are MUCH better than my 95 SLT750. We just had them at the lake together today. If I'm not mistaken, I think the front bumpers are the same. The bad news is his rub rails and even the front bumper appear to be the same purple-bluish color ours is. They just pulled it off better on the SLX with the red & black than they did on the SLT's with the purple and teal. It's interesting because on our machines, because of the purple, the rub rails look purple. On his machine, with no other purple around, the rub rails look almost blue.

I'm not sure if you saw my other thread. http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=98707 I want to change my color scheme too....I was able to get rid of the pink, but I'm not willing to paint the purple/teal plastic parts because I think eventually, it will chip or scratch and look worse (if that's possible ) than it does now.

So, I'm planning to add some yellow (I think). I'm thinking of recovering the seat (eventually) in yellow vinyl, and then painting the handlebar pad yellow, since it's faded anyway. Finally, I plan to try to add some decals back on with some yellow & bluish purple and replace the pink striped with yellow stripes. You bring up a good point....I forgot about the glove box door. I might just live with it.

Good luck. Let us know if you come up with any good ideas that hold up well.

Thread Information