Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Gp1200R help

Hey guys,

I have been watching the site over the past year after my purchase of a 2001 gp1200r last march. I bought the ski last year as a fun, quick and reliable way to ride when i am not feeling up to the sxr and waveblaster and it has turned out to be a fun ski But, i have a few questions.

After much helpful info from this site, the first thing i did after the purchase was install wave eater clips and couplers and install a oil block off kit. I also cleaned the power valves and switched to amsoil full synthetic.

To start the questions, i will give you guys a little background on the ski. I bought it with 88 hours, it has a bunch of protec parts, a rec head (pump gas), turbo exhaust tube, rideplate, intakegrate, flame arrestors, modified carbs, and a concord 13/19. Also, i did a compression check and it yeilded 127-125-126. So, needless to say, the ski now has 110 hours and here are the questions.

1) At the end of the summer last year, i noticed that the ski developed a bogg/hesitation at 1/3 throttle while trying to slowly accellerate/ get on plane. I would blip the throttle to get through the "dead spot" but, it has gotten much worse. (I just orderd 3 carb repair kits to rebuild all of them to see if this solves the problem) Any other ideas? is there a common cause to this???

2) The ski only runs 60-62 MPH on the stock speedo. I have moved the sponsons around, played with the trim, body position and nothing past 62. However, the mid range is really powerful and the low end has slight cavatation (working on getting a pump seal kit for the low end cavatation). Any ideas low top speed? I figured this ski would be in the upper 60's.

3) I was looking at the carbs last night and noticed that they have been "modified". I could tell by the "t handles" on the high speed jets. I noticed that the highs were 1 and 1/8th turns open. Not sure where this should be but, advice from the gurus is welcome!!

4) Lastly, at 110 hrs, should i think about a rebuild in the near future? or wait until its needed?

I am assuming the this ski had the protec "wake up kit" installed by the previous owner, but, i am unable to know for sure because he sadly passed away and no one knows anything about the mods he did to the ski.

Thanks for the help!

+1
    I think your on the right track going through the carbs first for the bog. Double check your jetting while you have them apart and report back.

Your speed is hard to figure because the stock speedo's are unreliable. You really need to get a gps on that ski and see where your at.

Stock figure it's a low 60mph ski. For top speed you have some conflicting mods though..
    The plate and FA's/carbs are giving you some speed but the grate and turbo tube are costing you some top end.

Your compression looks low with that head. Normally, you'd expect to be around 140 with that head. However, it could be just that your gauge is "off" a little, or depends on the method you used to check compression. The fact that they are close leads me to believe your fine with compression.
    110 hours is nothing for that motor....
    Doug

I will check the jets tonight and report back tomorrow. Also, I know the pre-filters, tube and grate/plate combo are scrubbing some speed but, i think i will need to wait until i can gps this thing when it gets warm. I also feel that my skill with the compression tester was wrong, i had all the plugs out, did not run WOT.

I will check the jets tonight, carbs will be back on this weekend, and just have to wait for warm weather.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by darren94 View Post
    I will check the jets tonight and report back tomorrow. Also, I know the pre-filters, tube and grate/plate combo are scrubbing some speed but, i think i will need to wait until i can gps this thing when it gets warm. I also feel that my skill with the compression tester was wrong, i had all the plugs out, did not run WOT.

I will check the jets tonight, carbs will be back on this weekend, and just have to wait for warm weather.

Your not the only one waiting on warm weather...

update...

i took the carbs apart and found that each one had a setup as follows.

A jet with 117.5
    A jet with what looked to be 1.2
    gold springs.
    Accel. pump still installed

Hope this helps, i am a crab newbe

bump

+1
    if you send me an e-mail and I'll reply with a set of carb rebuild instructions

philip
    [email protected]

the carbs are already rebuilt. I need to know if my jetting is off for the listed mods at the top of the post

+1
    yes the jetting is off, once you add flame arrestors you weaken the signal to the carbs so you have to increase the jetting size

I'd suggest the jetting you want to use is

pilot 110
    main 125
    Needle and seat 1.5
    spring 95 gram

use this jetting with the accelerator pump disabled

I'd leave the acclerator pump in place, just remove the cam that activates it when you pull the throttle in, this way you can use the pump as a primer

Other ideas,

replace the Turbo tube with the OEM exhaust piece and a D plate (good for a 1 - 2 mph) gain

replace the 13/19 impeller with a 14/20 based impeller (another 2 mph gain) I have an impeller that would be ideal for your ski - e-mail me if you are interested in buying it [email protected]

+1
    I agree with Philip on the jetting. Start at 1 turn for the lows and 1.5 turns for the highs.
    There's a really good read in the FAQ section about "jetting specs I have used".
    Good Luck!
    Doug

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information