new to pwcing... got some ?'s

Hi guys and girls,
    Im new to this site and jet skiing in general but have learned alot this past summer. This seems like a great site and hopefully you guys can teach me some things.Now to the questions.

I have been reading up on some things for my ski like intake grates and ride plates and want to know the benefits of both. I have an older ski(93 sl 750) but it runs beautiful. I did notice in rough water after hitting a wave it seems like its not pushing any water out and i come to a stop. It doesnt do this on smooth water or minimal chop.

I read up on the r&d scoop grate and I think I would benifit from that in rough water. From what I read I should go with the 650 R&d plate because it still pushes more water in than stock but doesnt effect speed as much as the 750 does. Am I correct so far.

Sorry for the long post but anything else you guys have to make my ski more fun would be awesome or just some pointers to keep my ski running great would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk 93!!!!

You are on the right path. You've been reading the right threads and understanding them it seems.

You will want the R&D intake grate, and a longer than stock ride plate for sure, if you ride in any chop. Something like a Ocean Pro "R" plate or a SLX would work well and can be had for pretty cheap.

A big performance boost for you 93, would be to upgrade the entire jet pump to a 94 and newer style. It's larger and more powerfual than the one you have currently. (unless someone already did the swap)

It has more performance parts and impellers available than any 92-93 pump.

AND it'll bolt right up with no mods needed.

The only down side to this is, you have to realign your engine to the jet pump. But that's a one-time deal.

The scoop grate will keep the hull planted to the water better, while keeping more of the pump "loaded" with water vs. the stock grate. It will hinder top speed in smooth water, but if you ride in any chop, the benefits are welcomed.

The longer ride plate will help keep the nose down, resulting in faster "planing" (acceleration) and better handling in chop with less porpoising. (skipping across waves)

Welcome,

I have a 95 SL750 and I love that little ski.
    I can't give you any advice as far as what to add for performance, but make sure you check to see if the fuel pump has been changed to a tripple outlet, the singles had problems, just do a search you'll find everything you need here on the forum.

Sorry to go off topic but it is very important to make sure this has been done. (I has to replace the mag piston, last year because of the pump.)

Good luck
    Tim

what is needed to be done to realign the engine? is it something I can do myself or should I just bring it somewhere for a professional to do it? Im still in snowmobiling season but have a few plans for my ski before summer sets in.

One more question
    I was reading about sponsors and was wondering what the benefits of adding them on if it they make them for my ski. I really like how light and agile my ski feels compared to some of the bigger skis i have ridden and don't want to lose that.

Thanks for the fast replies by the way.

Smile

Sponsons help ,but if you really like pwc just get a sltx say a 97 version, they can be had for less than a set of sponsons and the labor to install them,hint look for anon running,ski with no spark(my customer has bought 3 so far )paying from 500.00 to 750.00 each)the 500 dollar ski needed only a cdi box a good clean up and fresh gas and oil, then you have a ski that pulls like your 750 with triple pipes,44mm carbs,and some port work.Hey its just an idea.and lots cheaper than trying to build a fast 750.JMHO>Marvin

well i got the ski last summer for $100 dollars and its pretty beat. The engine is running excellent though so im going to keep this ski til i get more serious about pwc's. There are some cracks that i plan on fixing.
    Is there any way to re-fiberglass the crack? Tere are ones on each side of the hull where the seat goes. Water does seem to get through there a little. Im thinking about putting a bilge pump in. Do they make bilge pumps for my ski? If so which ones?

+1
    I see you are upstate. check with Sharps Marine in Oswego.

http://www.sharpsmarine.com/

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1

ski

start looking around for a 94-95 sl750 with a bad motor and nice hull and transplant.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    There's been some good responses so far.

Another hull would be a great idea.

A bigger ski is even better.

But to answer your Q: aligning the engine is just a matter of properly shimming the engine to line up the drive shaft "dead center" into the jet pump. It does require the use of a special alignment tool, but Beer Dart rents the tool, which makes it nice.

+1
    I have a 1992 SL650 Hull..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CIMG1078.JPG 
Views:	47 
Size:	971.3 KB 
ID:	118794  

Thread Information