Seadoo Challenger for a flood rescue boat?

I am thinking of picking up a used Seadoo Challenger for personal use as well as for use as a flood rescue boat. Our town has had 2 floods in the last 12 years and there's no reason to suspect that no more floods are coming. During the last flood, rescues were made by wading through the water and by the use of aluminum fishing boats. The waters ranged from a few feet to over 10 feet. One of the biggest problems we had were that the propeller-driven boats were underpowered for the floodwaters and at least one was put out of commission when the prop hit a mile-marker sign. I am wondering how well you all think a small sport boat would work for this scenario. How sturdy are the hulls on these boats and would the debris in the flood waters be more or less of a problem compared to prop-driven boats? Are there any other things that I should consider?

Thanks,
    Tom

+1
    tom if you suck debris into the pump your day is pretty much over with a prop driven boat you will either spin the hub or break the shear pin on the prop but will still be able to limp along.also with the outboard you can trim it almost all the way out of the water and still run.my recomendation is a zodiac style boat with a good sized ob motor and a skeg guard and aluminum prop. also carry a spare aluminum prop. the aluminum will give way if you hit something before engine damage occurs.

Check these guys out http://www.firefish.ca/ . Probably real pricey but I've seem them go through some real skinny water, even sliding across rock bars.

A couple vids:

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Does anyone know the prices on those, because that is probably the single coolest thing I have seen in a while.

Sean

Sweet! Their smallest three boats use Mercury power & pump like the older Utopia boats. I wonder what the intake grate looks like on these things? It's got to be something more restrictive than ours to keep from sucking up all of those rocks.

I suppose a SeaDoo would make a fine flood rescue boat too... if the hull was made of aluminum and teflon.

Those are very cool boats and exactly what we need, but they are a bit pricey. Any other similar boats out there? Thanks for the advice. It sounds like the Seadoo won't work for a flood boat, but I will likely still get one for lake use.

Tom

+1
    here you guys go all the info on these boat
    http://greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=79070

Thread Information