Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WebSite Development?

Hi guys, im thinking about building my own webiste for fun. I was wondering if anyone on here makes site for a living or in their spare time? What programs do you use? I am willing to spend alot of time at a comp to learn how its done. I can get dream weaver! right now im pretty knowledgeable about computers. like i said this site would jsut be for fun because i dont know exactly what i want to build yet. so if you guys can give me advice that would be great. any info possible would be amazing!!!

Thanks,
    Justin

I am actually in a web technology class right now. We mainly use the basic XHTML, the REAL coding. XHTML is not the easiest, but safest way to create a website, its the easiest way to fix mistakes. What would be best for you though, just starting out, would be Adobe Dreamweaver. It is expensive, but you can get a trail version I think...it lasts for 30 days or so. Otherwise I do believe there are openscource replicas of dreamweaver, I just cant remember what they are called.

BTW: Be prepared to do A LOT of learning and researching if you are just starting and learning on your own. Programs like dreamweaver can make it kinda easy, but you should still know the basics. It is really a lot of fun when you get the hang of it though.

yea i actually have dreamweaver! im looking to learn how to design a site thinking it might help me in the future and possibly making money that way. i wish i had someone that can spend time and teach me how to do it. i want to be able to build almost looking professinal site and i know it will take time but i got tons of that being that im in still in high school. do you have anymore that would really help?

Maybe start a site on jet skis being that i love them lol

you could maybe start here http://www.w3.org/ just kinda surf around it a bit. Do you need help starting a website? Like do you know your way around dreamweaver?

yea i probably need help starting a site. Dreamweaver in a way is like flash but i dont know that much about it.

Here are the steps:

1) Draw a diagram of what you want you layout to look like. The heading, the navigation bar, body, etc...an example is on the forums, what I am calling a header is the very top Green Hulk Performance Forums thing.

2) Get the dimensions of your screen, 1024x768 or w/e they are

3) Figure out what percent you want each of your different divs are going to be, divs being like your header, navigation bar, body...

4) Do the math on the percent to pixels. Like if you wanted your navigation bar to be 10% the height of your screen, it would be 76 pixels in height. This will make more sense later on, but trust me, it makes your life easy in the future.

5) When your done with that, make a new folder in your documents or wherever you want it. Name it websites or w/e. then in the folder, make another folder and call it pictures. This is where you will have all your pictures you want, if you have any.

6) Ok, now when you have all that done, open up dreamweaver. The first screen will be a welcome screen. On that welcome screen you can choose many different things to start. Under create new, click on HTML.

7) After that you will come to a screen that is just a blank white thing, with numbers on the top and side, those are pixels.

To make a div, like your body or top header, go to Layout ---> then in the layout tab you should see something that looks like a box, with 6 black bubble things around it (if you hover over it, it will say "Draw AP Div") Click that.

9) On the screen draw a box, relative the size you want it.

10) On the right side of the screen you will see something with little heading things: CSS, Application, Tag Inspector, Files. Click the down arrow under CSS

11) Under that click AP Elements. Double click on what is now called apDiv1 and rename it w/e you want, Header, body etc.

12) Click back over the CSS Styles. In there you will see a header called "Properties for "#apDiv1" or w/e you called it. It will always have the # in front though. Under this you change everything about it. The height, top (how far from the top of the page it is) and other things. You can change the background color, add a background picture and other stuff if you click on the Add Propertie thing.

13) This is where your drawing will come in handy. It should have your height, width and any others you figured out, height and width are the main things you want right now though. To change your heigh, double click on the height DEMENSION, NOT the actual word height. After you double click it you should be able to change it.

That is about everything with the basics. I am not by any means an expert at this, I havent used dreamweaver for a long time, so if anyone with more knowledge wants to jump in, that would be cool. But this should start you off pretty well.

wow thanks for the write up i will do this tomrrow when i get home from school. i really aprecaite this. are you using a mac? do you have a webcam? lol im def going to have issues with this lol

its the Mac that my school provides us with. It has the whole adobe suite, no webcam though.

If you take a look at it while in dreamweaver it wont be as big of a hassle as it sounds. Again, that is just the basics for you to start. Basically to build your layout. After that, just play around with it and have some fun =)

Justin,

You might want to download a couple of free website templates then open them in Dreamweaver to edit them. That would be the easiest way to get started. It would allow you to get the basics.

Then you could study HTML and learn how to customize the templates by changing the code. There are also a couple of great forums on the web for web development.

Of course you can host you site on-line with anyone of a number of places or if you have DSL or cable internet and a spare computer, you could host it from your home. I get my domain from Godaddy so I let them host most of my website.

aww thats no fun though. Thats not true designing. But like he said, it would be nice just starting out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information