Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SC Slip Moment?

+1

SC Slip Moment?

Hey guys, please tell me if I am reading the picture below wrong. The pic is of the slip moment of my SC as it stands right now. Is that pic showing 10 foot lbs?

This is with a brand new 08 shaft kit, Riva metal washers, and 5 McMaster car spring washers. If I use the 08 shaft kit washers then my slip moment drops to 8 ft lbs.

This cant be right can it? I thought for Rude SC's the slip moment should be 13-14 ft lbs. Also my understanding is that if I use 5 McMaster carr spring washers then my slip moment should be through the roof.

Any help would be appreciated guys as I need to put my ski back together and this is totally driving me crazy.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00864.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	118732  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by aha View Post
    Hey guys, please tell me if I am reading the picture below wrong. The pic is of the slip moment of my SC as it stands right now. Is that pic showing 10 foot lbs?

This is with a brand new 08 shaft kit, Riva metal washers, and 5 McMaster car spring washers. If I use the 08 shaft kit washers then my slip moment drops to 8 ft lbs.

This cant be right can it? I thought for Rude SC's the slip moment should be 13-14 ft lbs. Also my understanding is that if I use 5 McMaster carr spring washers then my slip moment should be through the roof.

Any help would be appreciated guys as I need to put my ski back together and this is totally driving me crazy.
    Yes, it looks like you are reading it right. The thing about the mcmaster car spring washers is that the stock o8 spring washers are thicker than prevous years. I believe they are almost the same thickness but the mcmasters are about .001 thicker

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Looks like 10 lbf-ft from my house Find some shims!!!

+1
    Ahmed my 2Rude and ET140 with 2008 shaft kits and aftermarket washers and bearings both droppped from 16+ ft lb upon installation to just over 8 ft lb after less then 3 hours use.............this is NOT saying anything bad about either unit....... in fact quite the oppposite.........because what i feel is that these chargers KICK A$$ and break in the washers a lot faster and more aggressively initially than less boost wheels do obviously.......when u go to correct the slip moment with shims u will most likely need at least TWO and i would get it to 15+ ft lbs. if it were mine....if TWO shims are overkill and ONE is not enough take the L ring and rub it on some emerycloth and solvent and keep rechecking until u have eleviated the tension enough to get 15-17 ft lb slip moment..............then............ RIDE IT LIKE U STOLE IT.........i do!!!!!!!

+1
    Thanks for the input guys, I just thought its odd that a brand new 08 shaft kit with McMaster spring washers and Riva Steel washers is only at 10 Ft Lbs. I will go ahead and shim it up but then that leaves me no room for when it wears in

+1
    quote=aha;967194]Thanks for the input guys, I just thought its odd that a brand new 08 shaft kit with McMaster spring washers and Riva Steel washers is only at 10 Ft Lbs. I will go ahead and shim it up but then that leaves me no room for when it wears in [/quote]

Me too. I dont have a new shaft setup but you would expect it to not need shims with those washers, but maybe not.

+1
    Thanks for the input guys, I just thought its odd that a brand new 08 shaft kit with McMaster spring washers and Riva Steel washers is only at 10 Ft Lbs. I will go ahead and shim it up but then that leaves me no room for when it wears in
    All of the stock 08 shaft kits I have checked have been between 8-9 ftlbs. If you are running a rude 1 then 12ftlbs will be perfect. Also you can add more than 2 shims once it breaks in. The 2 shim rule was because generaly if your gear and washers wear enough to need 2 shims its probably time for a rebuild but now with the higher boost chargers we need 1 or 2 shims right off the bat. This is not because of wear but because of the higher slip moment needed for the big chargers.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    All of the stock 08 shaft kits I have checked have been between 8-9 ftlbs. If you are running a rude 1 then 12ftlbs will be perfect. Also you can add more than 2 shims once it breaks in. The 2 shim rule was because generaly if your gear and washers wear enough to need 2 shims its probably time for a rebuild but now with the higher boost chargers we need 1 or 2 shims right off the bat. This is not because of wear but because of the higher slip moment needed for the big chargers.
    Well that makes me feel alot better! Whew! I am going to shim it up as soon as I finish my exhaust manifold swap and let you all know how it goes with 2 shims.

+1
    Well that makes me feel alot better! Whew! I am going to shim it up as soon as I finish my exhaust manifold swap and let you all know how it goes with 2 shims.
    I would try 1 shim first and see where that gets you. We are talking about a rude 1 correct?

+1
    Yeah its a Rude 1. After many diffrent combo's I finally was able to get 13.5 Ft Lbs of slip moment. Here is the config I used: OEM washer then shim then OEM washer then McMaster washer then McMaster washer then McMaster washer. It took me about an hour to figure out that combo... anything else and it would either lockup the clutch or still about 10 Lbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information