+1

OK, need help with the small stuff now

I've got all the mods I plan to do for now to the XLL done, and it's running great; now I need a bit of help with the small stuff, and I imagine all the answers are here.

Here what I have.
    1999 XL1200 Limited
    Brand new 66v motor, running premix.
    Riva F/A's, R&D intake manifold and reed stuffers, carbs rejetted.
    ADA head w/40cc domes
    Stinger 3 with Jetworks mod
    Solas 13/19 depitched to 12/18 by Island Racing
    5 degree GPR nozzle
    Riva ride plate with PWC Performance mod

It pulls HARD from the bottom all the way up. Anything less than 1/3 tank, and it jumps out of the water and comes unhooked, even with my 220 lbs on the bars. Don't have any RPM's to post, my tach is not working right. Top speed is 64.5 on the GPS. The plate makes the ski ride solid, it feels great.

OK, now for the issues.

At WOT, I've got a porpoise I can't get rid of with trim or ride position (first test of the ride plate was a bolt on with no shims). I pulled the plate off to shim the back per Jims suggestion, then bolted it back on. After I tightened it up, I checked the front of the plate with a nickel to see how the drop off was; found I had much more than that, so I added a thick shim to all 4 spots in addition to the slim ones for the back. Bolted it back on, then I noticed that the plate doesn't sit even. The left side was even with the hull, while the right side had the nickel deep drop off I was shooting for. I'm not sure why it's uneven; I never noticed it when the Protec was on there, but I wasn't looking either. Possibly the mod is a bit uneven, or the hull itself? I pulled it back off, traded the thick shims on the left side for slim ones, and I had an even ride plate. After all that, I still had the high speed porpoise, no speed change.

2nd issue, possibly related to the first; at full speed, I've got a noticeable pull to the left. It's slow, but if I want to keep perfectly straight, I've got to push the bars to the right enough to where I lose a bit of speed. The steering cable was installed last year, no excessive play in it.

And last, not an issue, but a question; should I be trying a different prop? Any suggestions?

The ride plate issue is the most troublesome one; any ideas that help would be appreciated, guys.

Work on one thing at a time... Get that plate taken care of before you bother with a prop!

You should check the entire bottom side of the plate for any little anything hanging down. Check for uneven rough spots on one side and not the other. With all the on and off is there a chance you messed up anthing on the leading edge of the plate? When there machined and they get thin it's easy to bend or even break off a small part. It could be that small if it's in the right place.

+1
    What type of sponsons are you using.

+1
    Smitty, got to thinking about this yesterday after you left. That pull to the left, that maybe just the water. I sometimes notice when I am out there my ski will pull to either side. If you've had that steering perfect before, then its not the steeing. Could be the ride plate or the water.
    I'll be home as soon as I can get back if you want to come get the ski, Mike said he would keep it in his yard while I was gone for the week. Hehehe, good luck on that side of town.
    SHOOTER

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    hello smitty, Do not put shims up front just put them in the back. By putting them in the front and the back you did not change the angle of the plate. Make sure you measure all the washers because they might not measure all the same thickness. Before you tighten up the plate make sure you center the plate you will have some movement to adjust then tighten the bolts. The problem with the xlt & xll is the factory sponsons cannot be stepped, And the ski does not have trim tabs. So the only thing that can be done to take away the porpoise is take some angle out of the plate by shimming the back of the plate, Or go with after market sponsons.

+1
    you might make sure the rideplate is true - find a flat surface (maybe concrete floor) and use a level

you might also try putting the 3 degree nozzle back on

Quote Originally Posted by jims 1300
    hello smitty, Do not put shims up front just put them in the back. By putting them in the front and the back you did not change the angle of the plate. Make sure you measure all the washers because they might not measure all the same thickness. Before you tighten up the plate make sure you center the plate you will have some movement to adjust then tighten the bolts. The problem with the xlt & xll is the factory sponsons cannot be stepped, And the ski does not have trim tabs. So the only thing that can be done to take away the porpoise is take some angle out of the plate by shimming the back of the plate, Or go with after market sponsons.
    My thoughts exactly, take the shims out of the front and only shim the rear of the plate and I bet the porpoising goes away.

+1
    OK... as far as sponsoons, I've got the later model factory ones, not the '99 ones, these are the ones that were susposed to fix the problems with the origionals.

I'll pull the shims out of the front, and the extra shims out of the back. I did change the angle, I had more shims on the back than the front. While I'm doing that, I'll check the plate on a flat surface, and inspect everything for anything hanging down. Probably do all this tomorrow, then post what I find.

+1
    Jim what sponsons do you recommend for an XLL? I have a 2000 model and still running factory sponsons. Thanks!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    i Like the beach house ones for the xll.

Thread Information