Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    put the ski on the side 90degree

    Hi guys,,
    i wanted to fix my hull,,and was thinking to put the ski 90 degree to the side.
    is this ok without pull the engine out?

    thx.
    dre


  2. #2
    I've done that to my 96 XP many times.. but thats much lighter than your ski. Plus, you have a 4 stroke.. I'd like to know what happens when you roll one over. I can't imagine that being good for it.

  3. #3
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by dre23 View Post
    Hi guys,,
    i wanted to fix my hull,,and was thinking to put the ski 90 degree to the side.
    is this ok without pull the engine out?

    thx.
    dre
    If you do, tip it on the right side and drain the gas and oil. Also before re-starting remove the spark plugs, apply full throttle and crank the engine over to be sure ther is no oil in the cylinders possibly causing it to hydrolock. You should also check be sure the engine is secure and the mounts are good prior to tipping it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rxp hole 003.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	673.7 KB 
ID:	118772  

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dre23 View Post
    Hi guys,,
    i wanted to fix my hull,,and was thinking to put the ski 90 degree to the side.
    is this ok without pull the engine out?

    thx.
    dre
    I would tip it on the Left side. (Left side is, when I am standing on the rear of the ski) That's my left side. The left side is where all the hard components of a 4Tec engine is located, ie: exhaust manifold, J-pipe, water box etc, etc... On the right side is where all the "Soft" components are located. Air box, ECM , majority of the wirrings, Throttle body assembly, Plastic Intake manifold, most sensors, etc,etc... This is what I would do: Take of the battery, drain the fuel, oil and anti-freeze. Get a Truck tire inner tube. insert it in between the exhaust manifold and the inside hull. Now inflate the inner tube until it is firm enough to act as a cushion and a support to the engine side, so when you tilt it to the left side the engine is supported. To add support to the engine top, take 2 straps and go crosswise on top of the engine and hook up the end of the straps to the hull railings. get another innertube and fill the empty space on top of the engine. The purpose of all this is support the most heaviest component of your ski "The Engine" The 3 engine mounts are not designed to hold that weight for a prolong period of time. Remember, the strong side is the Left side, standing at the back. The right side is the soft side in regards that you can dammage more expenssive parts at the right side. Left side is Jammer's side.....Right side is side
    Last edited by Jammer 1; 12-08-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: No more Lemming jokes LOL!

  5. #5
    speedskixp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    venice fl.
    Posts
    8,117
    +1
    120
    Jammer, although I think your an ass, you do bring up a couple good points/ideas such as supporting the motor with a inner tube and removing the battery wich i forgot to mention. However the reason I think Lemming side is better is because when you tip it to Jammers side the engine goes almost totaly upside down alowing oil to drain into the cylinders. I dont care how good you drain the oil. If you go to Jammers side make sure you dont bend over , keep an eye on him, , remove the spark plugs and crank it over to get all of the oil out of the cylinders before starting it. I have tipped them both ways and the right side has always worked out the best.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lexington, Ky
    Posts
    1,656
    My 2cents for what they are worth (I always pull the motor when I turn a hull over, too easy not too, plus makes the job ALOT easier) I have to agree, the motor is about 45 degrees slanted in the Hull already. Tilting it to the side with intake manifold down does seem better as far as engine orientation goes. but Jammer also makes a good point. I would DEFINITELY brace the engines weight on the exhaust manifold over the intake manifold side! But I think his rub-rail strap idea would allow you to tilt it intake side down, with the straps supporting most the engine weight. Oh yeah, I'd definitely pull the drive-shaft too, in case the motor decides to shift any significant amount! However It's soo much easier with my GPR/RXP rotisserie i built (hopefully coming to a store near you if the demand is there )

    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Jammer, although I think your an ass, you do bring up a couple good points/ideas such as supporting the motor with a inner tube and removing the battery wich i forgot to mention. However the reason I think Lemming side is better is because when you tip it to Jammers side the engine goes almost totaly upside down alowing oil to drain into the cylinders. I dont care how good you drain the oil. If you go to Jammers side make sure you dont bend over , keep an eye on him, , remove the spark plugs and crank it over to get all of the oil out of the cylinders before starting it. I have tipped them both ways and the right side has always worked out the best.

  7. #7
    Thanks alot guys,,as i was thingking as well to put the inner tube tires, pull the batteries,,pump the oil out and antifreeze. pull the plugs, and crank it with wide open throttle will do that. thanks for all the tips..
    but still confuse should i tip to the intake manifold side? or Exhaust?

    thx
    dre

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by speedskixp View Post
    Jammer, although I think your an ass, you do bring up a couple good points/ideas
    speedskipy, why are you always thinking about my ass? Is it getting Big speedskipy poo, or is that just a Lemming thang

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by boostaholic View Post
    However It's soo much easier with my GPR/RXP rotisserie i built (hopefully coming to a store near you if the demand is there )
    That's funny, I made one too for my RXP, but it's adjustable sideways and lenthwise, to fit other skis so my buddy that owns the Ski rental place can use it too

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by dre23 View Post
    Thanks alot guys,,as i was thingking as well to put the inner tube tires, pull the batteries,,pump the oil out and antifreeze. pull the plugs, and crank it with wide open throttle will do that. thanks for all the tips..
    but still confuse should i tip to the intake manifold side? or Exhaust?

    thx
    dre
    Flip a coin?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Slightly lifting jet ski on one side for bunk replacement?
    By Ericruiz911 in forum Towing and Trailers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-04-2014, 10:41 PM
  2. Who put the most hours on their 2007 RXP/RXT
    By H2HO in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 08:25 PM
  3. Launching jet ski on the beach?
    By Ultra 250X in forum Kawasaki Open Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 09-25-2007, 10:47 PM
  4. Hulk how do I post a pic of my ski on the Photo album?
    By ccassone in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 11:05 AM
  5. Are these the hoses i am to put the clamps on
    By Jrsrxp in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-24-2005, 07:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •