Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

98 to 1200 motor question

I have a 98 gp 1200 and a piece of one of the pistons cracked off. It did a little damage to the cylinder. Is it possible to just bore out the one cylinder or do you have to do all 3. It is stock right now. Is there anything else you would reccomend while I have the motor apart. New rings? On the other two. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Justin

hey justin, you ask if you would have to do all three because you want to run 2 different bores? you can resleave the 1 one damaged cylinder..

Yes, I was wondering about the two different bore sizes. Two cylinders would be stock. I called the local ski shop here and they said it would be $50 to bore the one cylinder. Then they said to buy a piston kit.

as long as you cant catch your fingernail in the scratchs or damage to cylinder then it has to be bored. You can bore up to 86mm with the 65u engine.
    If your damage is deeper than that you will have to have it resleeved which will be stock bore if you go that route.
    I wouldnt recommend to anyone who was going the performance route to run with different size bores but for the average joe, haveing one piston slightly bigger (as long as you can go to the next bore) wont hurt. I have seen many boats run with this type setup and last for years. Especialy the old boats when they start going to the way side and you just dont want to spend a bunch of money on it.You dont gain very much displacement and the wieghts of the pistons are not enough difference to cause much torrsioning.
    The best route to go is to bore all three cylinders to buy all new pistons to match. This will improve power slightly and the motor will run smoother. This is better on the crank as well.
    gp1200 is one of the easyest and cheapest watercraft to mod so you can go as far as you want from here.

couple more questions ?

I really appreciate everyones help with this. Does anyone know what a piston kit and gaskets on average would go for? I would like to do all of the cylinders to repair it right. The local shop said $50 to bore the one cylinder I didn't think that was to bad? Am I right?
    Thanks Justin

bore - 50. each
    pistons 100. to 145. each
    gasket set 100.

think you buy this stuff in a kit for around 435.00 comes with pistons, gaskets, wristpins, rings and clips.

+1
    JD,
    I can in my set up run larger then 86mm....I believe I can actually run a few more bores beyond that ....from what I'm told ... from Mark? Although I don't see anything larger then 86mm that I can remember?

M

Quote Originally Posted by Mpeavler View Post
    JD,
    I can in my set up run larger then 86mm....I believe I can actually run a few more bores beyond that ....from what I'm told ... from Mark? Although I don't see anything larger then 86mm that I can remember?

M
    I think you can do 89mm on the sleaves you got mike.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post
    I think you can do 89mm on the sleaves you got mike.
    Yup...that's what Mark said...your right...I knew it was something crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Justin GP1200 View Post
    I really appreciate everyones help with this. Does anyone know what a piston kit and gaskets on average would go for? I would like to do all of the cylinders to repair it right. The local shop said $50 to bore the one cylinder I didn't think that was to bad? Am I right?
    Thanks Justin

Punch it to 85.5mm and go wiseco setup.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information