Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Octane required

Octane required

I am told there will only be 87 octane fuel where i ride. Will this hurt my 2007 ultra 250 ?

buy octane booster from your auto store. it comes in small portable bottles

Quote Originally Posted by turbo250x View Post
    buy octane booster from your auto store. it comes in small portable bottles
    actually the cans of octane boost even the best rated will not help to boost your octane level

when it states will raise your octane level by 10 points that = 87.1 NOT 97!!

it is recommended to run 91 or higher but it will not hurt your 250x UNLESS you decided to do the timing mod etc

the ONLY way to boost 87 octane is A. buy race gas (expensive) and mix or b. use 1 gallon of toluene/xylene per tank of gas that will raise it from 87 to 90.5....... i've posted the calculation for this in other areas here on greenhulk the problem is it is a PAIN in the ars to do that allll of he time, it is NOT cheap, and toluene/xylene can fade paint/black trim on the ski HOWEVER I do do this............. as i have limited 91/93 octane in my area OR c. you can haul the 91/93 octane each and every time you ride

While I agree there are a lot of snake oil octane boost products out there, they are not all crap. The Outlaw brand of products worked, and currently I'm using Torco Accelerator in my blown mustang. I carry a bottle or 2 in the 250X in case I can't find 91. Lucas is also good.

Do the research yourself, but here's one link I found that shows believable testing results.

http://volvospeed.com/Reviews/octane_boosters.html

Lucas can be had for $6/bottle. The review above states: "One bottle is enough to make 10 gallons of 96.6 octane out of 93."

since we no everything in this world or some that may claim. explain nos "racing" octane booster that will raise 60 points and 6 numbers on the octane level. go ahead look for it. i've been using it on all my boosted jetski motors hard to get premium on lake michigan in downtown chicago for some reason

Wow, I didn't know that you could run 87 in the 250/260x. Is this really true? when gas goes back, which it is sure to do, the lower price of 87 will be looking pretty damn good...

Has anyone else run 87 in their ultra?

Lucky for my the guy and the local Import car hangout has put in 94. You can also get cam 2 and mix.

Quote Originally Posted by TruStud View Post
    Wow, I didn't know that you could run 87 in the 250/260x. Is this really true? when gas goes back, which it is sure to do, the lower price of 87 will be looking pretty damn good...

Has anyone else run 87 in their ultra?
    YES, as in my part of LOTO (Lake of The Ozarks) there is oly one 91 octane dealer on the water for 20 miles. Most are 89 or 87 octane.. Yes it will run, will it run as fast as it can NO. The ecu is pretty good at a/f...etc.....do I recommend doing it all season, NO.....i used Lucas boost most of the season..one can per tank (sometime a little more).....BUT I began using toluene/and or xylene one gal per tank since I will be doing the timing mod. Timing mod = 93 octane......

+1
    87 in MY ultra? never.. unless i'm stuck and it's either that or swim while i'm pushing it.I think i HAD to run during the NYC run on the Jersey side.. or what ever they had at the dock.. i know it WAS NOT the good stuff.. although the price was almost the same

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information