Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Another rip-off story

So I went to a local machine shop, Don's Auto & Machine Shop who builds old classic cars, and asked for a quick Hone. He was chating a bit with me and at the end said, "well I can do it for about 75.00 for all three holes. I almost choked! I said 75.00????? He then told me it was a lot of work.

Man I thought the economy was hurting but to charge crazy prices like this I thought was kinda pushing the limits.

Oh btw I bought some vitrified honing stone set for 10.00. Worked great, I could have bought a set of diamond honing stones for 200.00 but I am not going to do that many cyls.

....back from the dead.... J-ME's Avatar
    +1
    25 a cyl. isn't a bad deal if he was using a Sunnen hone.

Machine work can be expensive due to equipment cost. If you want a quick hone, get yourself a ball style hone.

Kris, you know what they say: " There's no place like hone!!" LOL

Did you get a chance to look at the photos I sent ya the link to on google photos?? Thanks for the help.

+1
    I agree, $25 isn't so bad at for a hone on 3 cylinders. he is running a business at the end of the day and needs to pay the bills.

PS: not sure of the laws in the USA, but publicly defaming him on a public forum, does that open you up to a defamation lawsuit?

Hahaha not a Sunnen Hone, he has old machines. 25.00 a cyl is expensive for a quick hone.

Quote Originally Posted by gkecorp View Post
    Kris, you know what they say: " There's no place like hone!!" LOL

Did you get a chance to look at the photos I sent ya the link to on google photos?? Thanks for the help.

Yeah I checked it out. There is a lot of small things that need to be fix that could turn into big problems. What mike(pistonwash) stated was all correct. You also need to get the compression checked before moving on to fixing the issues. The best thing to do is maybe see if some of the guys here on the forum close to you could help you out. I can try to help you out from what is see from the pictures, but would be afraid I will miss the small unseen problems the pictures dont show.

Quote Originally Posted by Autosport View Post
    I agree, $25 isn't so bad at for a hone on 3 cylinders. he is running a business at the end of the day and needs to pay the bills.

PS: not sure of the laws in the USA, but publicly defaming him on a public forum, does that open you up to a defamation lawsuit?

Settle down.........we have enough lawsuits in the USA. Not another million for some spilled coffee.

Mellinium charges $20 a cylinder...... But its perfect and ya spend on shipping vs machine shop extra 5 bucks per dip... ????? 6 one way half a dozen the other....

I don't think that price is so bad either. He needs to be paid for his time and overhead expenses.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by krispaintballz View Post

Settle down.........we have enough lawsuits in the USA. Not another million for some spilled coffee.
    I know... just protecting you to maybe take it off in case you can get your self in trouble ???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information