Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WTB: Magnum Setback driveshaft

So I picked a 12 vane setback pump for my 2000 GPR. I test fitted it and the drive shaft was too short. Got the new style midshaft and it works. This makes me think that the driveshaft I got was for a 2002 GPR as it is only about 27.5" long. I want to add the 2" extension in my setup so I am gonna need a setback shaft for a 2000-01, 03-08 GPR It should be around 29.5" from tip to tip.

If you have one plese let me know. Skat wants $100000000 for one.

Also when I called skat, the tech said I could send him my shaft and he could lengthen it. Anyone done this? I am thinking that where ever he adds the length will be a weak spot and I dont want to break a shaft.

Thanks

+1
    The extension is a nice to have piece but certainly not required. If it were more than $200 I can tell you I wouldnt run it.

You are going to have better hook up and acceleration with the skat pump as it is.

If that is a skat setback pump then the driveshaft you have is a custom one made by skat for their setback pumps. Basically what I'm saying is that the shaft you have is not an OEM Yamaha piece.

So if you want to run the 2" spacer with that pump you will need a custom made driveshaft. An OEM Yamaha 30" shaft will not work. It needs to be 31" long to make up for the 1" pump setback.

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGpr05 View Post
    If that is a skat setback pump then the driveshaft you have is a custom one made by skat for their setback pumps. Basically what I'm saying is that the shaft you have is not an OEM Yamaha piece.

So if you want to run the 2" spacer with that pump you will need a custom made driveshaft. An OEM Yamaha 30" shaft will not work. It needs to be 31" long to make up for the 1" pump setback.

-Jon

I know it is a skat shaft, I talked to them and they said I probably have a setback shaft for a 2002 boat because they were shorter. I need a skat setback shaft for any year GPR except the 2002. The skat shafts arent any longer then the OEM shafts its just the threads for the impeller are setback 1".

Oh ok...My bad... I must have misunderstood the guy I talked to at skat awhile back about this same thing.

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by IrishGpr05 View Post
    Oh ok...My bad... I must have misunderstood the guy I talked to at skat awhile back about this same thing.

-Jon

Hmmmm Interesting idea. The 05 and up pump uses the same size bearings as the skat, correct? I have the old style pump so I cant compare the two. Wonder if it is possible.

Yeah it does. I'm 99% sure all 2000 to 2008 GPR's use the same exact bearings and seals. And I know fur sure skay pumps take OEM yamaha bearings and seals.

It might work. I'm looking at a 30" shaft right now. It's worth looking into. Proabably a lot chaper then buying a new shaft.

-Jon

Yeah, a new shaft is major $$$$. I am hoping someone has one they are tired of tripping over and wants to part with.

check this out....mainly look at the pics that Mark posted on page 2 of the thread.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=84696

-Jon

I am gonna have to break my pump down and visit the machince shop. Thanks a lot for the help man.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information